FC6/turbonet problem

Linux distribution specific questions
alizard

FC6/turbonet problem

Post by alizard »

Is this forum moderated? I'm fairly sure I managed to remember to hit the post button before logging out.

My printing problem no longer exists. While shutting down, almost the last thing I saw in the information displayed was "shutting down device, usblp0". . . so when I started up, I tried it. Didn't work, but a new entry showed up in the devices screen: usb:/Canon/IP3000 .

Worked perfectly. One other thing. The address the original CUPS setup was pointed at was:
/var/run/cups/cups.sock
After some research, I changed it to
localhost:631

So if anyone else has this problem with FC6 and turboprint, this should be the solution.
alizard

Re: FC6/turbonet problem

Post by alizard »

I realized my previous post was incomplete, this is what I put up at FedoraForum:
printing with turboprint - CUPS in FC6 - howto
it may be that this is only a problem for people who convert the desktop to KDE... but if the bug (have to characterize it this way, I've installed turboprint on FC2, FC3, SLED10, and in Linspire... and it works everywhere else) exists in gnome, it should fix it there, too. This may be handy for printing with any other drivers installed after installation as well, I haven't tested this with the CanonJapan PIXMA IP3000 drivers.

Make sure you have the latest turboprint - 1.94-4 as of this writing. (may work with earlier versions)

You first have to change the printer listen address from /var/run/cups/cups.sock to
localhost:631
In KDE Start > Control Center > printers > Print Server (top toolbar) > Configure > Network > Add > enter - Listen localhost:631
hit OK

Going to the regular print manager (system-config-printer) and doing this from server-connect may work, otherwise, I guess look for the appropriate config file and edit it there manually with the text editor of your choice

After running Turboprint - Setup (xtpsetup)

hit the edit button
change the connection to local printer
look for device name - usb://Canon/IP3000 (or the analogous usb://whatever/whatever for your printer
hit OK

then print a test page.

Problems this works around:
1. the default /var/run/cups/cups.sock listen address is useless (and when I checked /var/run/cups, there was no /var/run/cups/cups.sock file there. The CUPS interface listens at localhost:631
2. the hal://whatever address reported to turboprint setup seems to be useless.
3. Perhaps whatever linkage exists with hal is also useless?

This should be reported as a bug, but I'm not sure where to report this.