Problems after upgrade ubuntu hardy to ubuntu 9.04

Post by toxamus »

My configuration:

TurboPrint 2
Canon Pixma iP5000
Ubuntu 9.04
Kernel 2.6.28-11 generic

After upgrading from Hardy to 9.04 I experience the following problems:

Printer output not as it should be, page (print) is longer than normal, cropped at upper end, for instance head of letter is cropped.

Printer Monitor says: Printer ERROR - No connection to turboprint daemon

Checked daemon, demon ist marked for automatic start, but NOT running.
Started daemon manually.

Now printer monitor says: Printer: No information available
Buttons "Printer Settings" and "Printer Toolbox" not working

Printer Output same as before.

Any help appreciated!

Best regards,
toxamus
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello toxamus,

did you actually set your printer up in TurboPrint Control? Probably there is already a printer driver installed that is not using TurboPrint.
When selecting a non-TurboPrint driver in TurboPrint Monitor the buttons "Toolbox" and "TurboPrint Config" are disabled.

The problem that TurboPrint daemon is not started in Ubuntu 9.04 is already fixed - the patch will be included in the next release of TurboPrint (probably this week or next week).
toxamus

Post by toxamus »

After setting up printer in TurboPrint Control, I get access to "Toolbox" and "TurboPrint Config".

In fact, this worked (printer was set up) before update to ubuntu 9.

Actually the printing problem remains, I gained about 4 to 5 millimeters (by setting up printer), but printing output is located high on page, upper printing area is cut off.
Printing output is shifted up 2.4 cm (compared to normal output via windows printer).
Problem is not program-specific, same output via OpenOffice Word print and Document Viewer (evince) print.

Best regards,
toxamus
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

the new version TurboPrint 2.10 is now available for download - it fixes the problem with TurboPrint Daemon not being started at boot time on Ubuntu 9.04.

I could not reproduce the problem with pages being shifted on the page.

However, I noticed the following strange behaviour:

When printing from OpenOffice Writer, the setting in the OO print dialog ("Properties..." -> "Paper size") is ignored - instead the document page size is used ("Layout" -> "Page"). This is the case with any printer driver, not only TurboPrint.

Before investigating further, I recommend to install the current TurboPrint version 2.10 and also to install the fixes available for Ubuntu 9.04.
toxamus

Post by toxamus »

> "the new version TurboPrint 2.10 is now available for download - it fixes the problem ..."

It raises new problems.
After installation of 2.10 my previously configured printers disappeared.

Up to now I didn't succeed to establish a new connection to old printer.
This is boring.