Virtualbox USB devices greyed out

Linux distribution specific questions
stolea

Virtualbox USB devices greyed out

Post by stolea »

I have Turboprint 2.10 installed on Ubuntu 9.04. The application works just fine in Ubuntu , (although it seems to get a little confused about paper size at times)
My problems are with trying to get Virtualbox 2.2.2 to print to my Canon printer. The printer, my UPS and my mouse are listed in the USB device list, but are greyed out.
I have full access control, i.e "peter" is listed as vboxusers and is active. Could my problem be that I use turbo print as my driver. The printer is set up as "share", so there should not be any problem.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

the USB port can be owned either by the host operating system (Ubuntu 9.04) or by the guest OS running in Virtualbox.

To print from the guest OS running in Virtualbox, you can either

- configure Virtual box, so that the guest OS owns the USB port
- share the printer from Ubuntu 9.04 for network access and configure the guest OS that it prints to this "network printer"

Configuration depends on your guest operating system - are you running Linux, Windows or something else?
stolea

Post by stolea »

The host is Ubuntu 9.04 and the guest is WinXp.

I resolved the problem, but will look at the method explained by you.
Much as I love Ubuntu, networking is at this point of its evolution unfortunately not the easiest thing in the world. It takes a lot of reading and even more of setting up.

You can look up the solution here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1166456

Thanks for your help.
Cheers