'Printer may not be connected' with Ubuntu Jaunty

Linux distribution specific questions
boundarynoob

'Printer may not be connected' with Ubuntu Jaunty

Post by boundarynoob »

I am using Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope with Turbo print 2.10-1 driver for Canon ip4500 but am unable to print a test page.

I am getting the following error on Turboprint Print Monitor:

"Unable to open device "hal:///org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_4a9_10c4_801AE6_if0_printer_noserial": Permission denied"

The printer status applet suggests that the printer may not be connected, but I know it works fine using Windows XP dual booted on the same machine.

I also know my Turboprint demo licence has expired, and I wish to purchase a licence, but want to make sure it works with my machine first! Could this be the problem?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

the expired trial period is not the problem - after 30 days you can continue to print, but a "TurboPrint" logo is added on the printed pages.

Please open TurboPrint Control Center (the printer must be connected and powered on) and press "Edit". In the list "Choose port" there should be an entry "Canon iP4500 TP-USB" - choose this entry and press "OK".

In the main window, the column "URI" should now be something like "tpu://Canon/iP4500".

Then try to print again and also check the status in TurboPrint Monitor.
boundarynoob

Post by boundarynoob »

Hi Zedonet

The printer was connected and powered up before booting.

Having selected 'Edit', under 'Choose port' I have the entry: 'Canon IP4500 series'. But there is no option to select Canon IP4500 TP-USB. The only options are 'Parallel Port 1', 'Parallel port 2' or 'Other'

In the main window the URI is:

hal:///org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_4a9_10c4_801AE6_if0_printer_noserial

I tried going through the dialogue to add it as new printer, but still did not get other options under 'Choose port'.
boundarynoob

Post by boundarynoob »

Hi Zedonet

I'm afraid my problem is still not resolved.

Can you suggest a solution on the basis of my last message or do you need more information?
bamyasi

Post by bamyasi »

boundarynoob wrote:Hi Zedonet

I'm afraid my problem is still not resolved.

Can you suggest a solution on the basis of my last message or do you need more information?
Have you checked the cable? I am asking because I've been having similar problem with my Canon iP5000 under Jaunty for months and I tried everything in software configuration but was unable to make it work. That's it, until I replaced the cable. This was an expensive "golden" model cable so I never suspected it. It turned out wire soldering on one end break loose. Sometimes simple things are most difficult to find.

--bamyasi
boundarynoob

Post by boundarynoob »

bamyasi wrote:
Have you checked the cable? I am asking because I've been having similar problem with my Canon iP5000 under Jaunty for months and I tried everything in software configuration but was unable to make it work. That's it, until I replaced the cable. This was an expensive "golden" model cable so I never suspected it. It turned out wire soldering on one end break loose. Sometimes simple things are most difficult to find.

--bamyasi
No it wasn't a hardware problem as I could print from Windows installed on the same machine.

In the end I gave up on Turboprint, hence my slow response to your post.

Thank you for your suggestion though!

Boundarynoob