Slow printing - Suse 10.1

Linux distribution specific questions
jhb8426

Slow printing - Suse 10.1

Post by jhb8426 »

Recently installed suse 10.1, was previously using Suse 7.3.

Printing is very slow. A page that prints in 15-20 sec on 7.3 w/turboprint 1.61 takes 3-4 minutes on Suse 10.1 w/turboprint 1.95. Using LPRng. Originally installed CUPS w/same result.

For that matter - printing is the same (slow) w/o turboprint) using LPRng or CUPS. It takes quite some time for the printer to start a print, then for each line, it stops, thinks about it awhile, then prints it. The actual printing of each line goes releatively quick.

Printer is HP 970C desk Jet. Print resolution is 600 dpi in all cases.

First I thought maybe CUPS was too smart, so I installed LPRng, but got same results.

I have both distributions on separate drives, so I can easily move back and forth w/a reboot to test.

Update: I printed the testpage-letter.ps from tp 1.95 on both versions of Suse. on 7.3 it prints quickly, on 10.1 it pauses at each line of output before it prints. Takes much longer on the 10.1 distro.
jhb8426

Post by jhb8426 »

Just an update...
It appears there is some hardware problem w/the onboard parallel port. It doesn't get recognized, and I have to manually set it up. It works fine under Suse 7.3 and Win XP, but Suse 10.1 does't like it. Will be adding a new parallel port card to see what happens.

Quite possibly this is a hardware issue.
jhb8426

Post by jhb8426 »

OK, it was a hardware problem. New parallel port card fixed it. But only after I setup the onboard port w/a fixed address, and let the secondary port float. Then Suse 10.1 would see that port and the secondary port. Set up printer on the secondary port and all worked fine.

Print speed is what I expect to see.

Trying to hardcode addresses in modprobe.conf did not work. Needed to take defaults there.