Turboprint problems on debian sid

Linux distribution specific questions
mcz

Turboprint problems on debian sid

Post by mcz »

First of all, sorry for my english.

I've turboprint version 2.11-2 (but I tried also version 2.10-1) on Debian Sid 64bit with Cups v. 1.4.1. My printer is a Canon-PIXMA_ip4500 at an uSB port.

Installing a new printer I had the choice "Canon ip4500 series. But when I open turboprint Monitor I have the message:

Printer not connected or switch out..
If I try to print a few lines of text, I get the printing ok, but if I try with a photo or with a two sided page of text (front and back), the printer begin to work and after a few lines stoped (with text prints the front side, but only two lines of the back one .
I cannot see also the ink monitor.

The same printer with the same turboprinter program 2.10-1) works fine with Ubuntu Jaunty 64bit. With Ububtu I see two choices: Canon ip4500 series (that doesn't work) and Canon ip4500 series USB (that works). I have also /dev/usb/lp0 (not present in Debian).

Thank you for your attention. :)
jlepropre

Post by jlepropre »

I have exactly the same issue except that printing does not start at all... Depending on size of job it stops after X% and says that printer is not connected or switched off. :(

Cups 1.4 was recently uploaded to debian sid and I wonder whether it is not the root cause of issue.

Printer works correctly under Windows and lsusb says that it is connected.

I can provide any other information if necessary. Thanks in advance for your help!
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello mcz, jlepropre,

after setting up the printer in TurboPrint Control Center, the "URI" (visible in the list of printers in TurboPrint Control Center) should be something like

tpu://Canon/iP4500

(for the Canon PIXMA iP4500 printer, different for other printers).

Setting the device to /dev/usb/lp0 does not work with recent versions of CUPS.

If this is already the case and printing still doesn't work, you can send the log files

/var/log/turboprint/print.log
/var/log/cups/error_log

preferrably by email to mail at zedonet dot com (replace at by "@" and dot by ".").
mcz

Post by mcz »

The only uri I can see on Debian is:
usb://Canon/iP4500%20series?serial=404B5A

On Suse 11.2 I have:
tpu://Canon/iP4500_series
and here is all OK

I have no more Ubuntu (I replaced it with Suse)
jlepropre

Post by jlepropre »

zedonet wrote:Hello mcz, jlepropre,

after setting up the printer in TurboPrint Control Center, the "URI" (visible in the list of printers in TurboPrint Control Center) should be something like

tpu://Canon/iP4500

(for the Canon PIXMA iP4500 printer, different for other printers).

Setting the device to /dev/usb/lp0 does not work with recent versions of CUPS.

If this is already the case and printing still doesn't work, you can send the log files

/var/log/turboprint/print.log
/var/log/cups/error_log

preferrably by email to mail at zedonet dot com (replace at by "@" and dot by ".").
Hello!

Sorry for late reply. Printer URI is tpu://Canon/i550. I have send you log files by email.

Thanks in advance for your help!
jlepropre

Post by jlepropre »

Do you have some news about the issue?
mcz

Post by mcz »

I've update my Debian Sid and now I have printed succesfully a page (front/back). (I didn't try a photo)
I can't see the ink levels and I still get the message that the printer is not connected.

So now I use Suse 11.2. It works very fine and also the turbo print's monitor is OK.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

I just installed the current Debian testing version and the problem seems to have disappeared - the TurboPrint USB backend "tpu" lists the printer and printing & status monitoring works.

There is a similiar problem in Ubuntu 9.10 (tested with alpha6) - the "tpu" backend doesn't work because the "usblp" kernel module is missing. "usblp" handles the /dev/usblp... devices.
samoht

Re: Turboprint problems on debian sid

Post by samoht »

Hi zedonet,
I deeply appreciate your commitment to the Linux community - but don't quite understand your last comment.
It is no comfort for us Debian sid (and Ubuntu karmic) users if the TurboPrint USB backend works only on Debian testing (or Ubuntu jaunty) :wink:
Greetings
Tom

Pls see also
http://www.turboprint.de/support/viewtopic.php?t=576
http://www.turboprint.de/support/viewtopic.php?t=569
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello samoht,

as you probably know, Debian sid is not a stable final release version but the current unstable "Still In Development" release .
(Wikipedia, "Debian" entry: "The unstable, development distribution is permanently nicknamed sid")
Ubuntu karmic is also still a testing version. The latest stable Ubuntu release is 9.04.
Of course we will adjust the TurboPrint USB backend, if needed, to work with the final releases.
samoht

[SOLVED] Turboprint problems on debian sid

Post by samoht »

Hi all,

cups packages update from today solved the problem

Code: Select all

less /usr/share/doc/cups/changelog.Debian.gz

cups (1.4.1-4) unstable; urgency=low

[ Till Kamppeter ]
  * debian/patches/usb-backend-both-usblp-and-libusb.dpatch: Make the USB
    backend supporting both printer access via libusb and via the usblp kernel
    module. Make it also printing via libusb if the URI for the queue was
    generated via usblp and vice versa. This should solve most USB printing
    problems which occured on the transition to CUPS 1.4.x (LP: #420015,
    LP: #436495; Closes: #546558, #545288, #545453).

[ Martin Pitt ]
  * debian/rules: Make the USB backend run as root again, udev rules do not
    cover all printers. (LP: #420015)
  * Drop debian/blacklist-cups.conf, and remove it on upgrade. With Till's fix
    from above this is not necessary any more.

-- Martin Pitt <mpitt@debian.org>  Wed, 30 Sep 2009 15:17:53 +0200
Greetings
Tom