problem with TurboPrint Monitor Applet - using Arch [SOLVED]

Linux distribution specific questions
crenedecotret

problem with TurboPrint Monitor Applet - using Arch [SOLVED]

Post by crenedecotret »

I've been ripping my hair out with Turboprint.. first with Ubuntu months ago (I gave up), now with Arch Linux... my problems are related to PAPER SIZE selections, but i've noticed other problems with color intent/double profiling.

I resolved part of my issues by uninstalling the gnome-cups-manager, but leaving in the CUPS daemon to boot at startup. That got rid of the double-profling/settings that was happening. Now it seems that only whatever is in CUPS applies when I try to print.. (I check this by looking at the printer admin pages at http://localhost:631)

Now, I only have a single, final issue to resolve. I have setup the TurboPrint Monitor Applet in one of my panels. If I right click on it, i'm given the option of running the TurboPrint Control Center, which would be perfect for my use. Now in this control center, only certain options seems to work (the ones ask for my root password....), the other settings I put in are displayed in TurboPrint, but totally ignored by CUPS, and when I print, they are totally inneffective. Ex: If I change Letter Paper size to CD, and change intent from Perception to Perception Photo, nothing changes in CUPS admin pages, and my apps won't print correctly. If I open a command prompt and type in "sudo turboprint" to open the control panel, everything works as it should.... each setting I change is immediately applied in CUPS, and pretty much all my apps work wonderfully well.

Now my question... is there anyway either:
1- to get CUPS to accept modifications done by my user account, via the TurboPrint control panel (I don't think everything is blocked from my apps, but certain features, like paper size are for sure...), I'd like to have no restrictions on settings made by a user.
or
2- to get the applet to function with a root account so that the changes I do get properly applied

I'M sorry if this is hard to follow... maybe I could document more with screenshots...... specifically I'm trying to use GLABELS for cds but I've also hit my head against a wall with Geeqie for photos. (Anyone know how to include a screenshot?)

Please help! Would lve to avoid WIndows just for printing, but Guttenprint or even Canon drivers to not give good quality with my ip4500

(Edit): I'd like to add i'm running the tprintdaemon via an rc.d script I created by looking at other daemon scripts.. I've checked in /var/run, there is a tprintdaemon.pid file and there is a corresponding process if I "sudo ps -ax | more".
Last edited by crenedecotret on Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crenedecotret

Post by crenedecotret »

I found a nice example of the "double-settings" that is going on with my system. I just printed a CD... To get the page positioning to work, I set everything up as root (sudo turboprint), and I also set everything up in GLabels (with my normal user account I used to run the app).

Now I get different colors depending if I choose these these different settings

scenario 1
sudo turboprint: chose "Perception Photo"
glabels: chose "Perception Photo"

scenario 2
sudo turboprint: chose "No Color Correction"
glabels: chose "No Color Correction"

scenario 3
sudo turboprint: chose "Perception Photo"
glabels: chose "No Color Correction"
OR
sudo turboprint: chose "No Color Correction"
glabels: chose "Perception Photo"

Again, thanks for looking into this.

I'd also be willing to switch linux distro if you can recommend a good gnome distro that is 100% working as expected, where a user can install the apps, choose settings and expect to work "as is"

thanks
[/img]
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

there are, in fact, several sets of printer settings (this is a feature of the Linux printing system CUPS, not of TurboPrint):

Root settings - you can see them e.g. in the CUPS WEB frontend http://localhost:631 and you can change them by executing the TurboPrint Control Center as root e.g. with the terminal command "sudo turboprint".

User settings - for every user, there are user settings. You can display them with the CUPS command line tool "lpoptions". And you can change them by running TurboPrint Control Center as regular user.

Most applications will use the "user settings" (unless you run applications as root; only really ancient software that was programmed before CUPS was introduced should use the "root settings").

OpenOffice or Gnome applications will show the settings that you have made in TurboPrint Control Center in their print dialogs.
Please note that settings that you change in the application's print dialog have precendence and will override settings that were made in TurboPrint Control Center.
crenedecotret

Post by crenedecotret »

thanks for the info... just to see what would happen, I installed Ubuntu 9.10 on a different partition and installed Turboprint...

That works perfectly, all the options I need are in the Gnome printer app
(system-config-printer 1.1.12) running as a simple user, and there does not seem to be a need for the turboprint control center, except maybe for creating paper profiles and paper sizes... but once they are created, the regular printer apps dialogs seems to work with all gnome apps i've tried.

This is very, very strange...! My netbook also uses Arch linux, I think I'll experiment with it a little more. Ubuntu is nice and polished and works well, but generally speaking, arch linux just feels faster/lighter when I use it. If I ever get it working correctly, I'll report back with a solution for ARCH.

Would it be against my licence agreement to use Turboprint on my netbook too?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

the license is for a single computer only. I can send you an offer for a license extension if you are interested.
crenedecotret

Post by crenedecotret »

Just to let everyone know I finally resolved this issue.
Changing distros has solved the issue for a while, and then it would break after a while (after updates). The issues seems to come from CUPS.

If I enable remote administration via the web interface, non-root accounts are finally able to change paper sizes without having to create multiple print queues.

I thought this might be useful to others