Regression in turboprint_2.12-2_amd64.deb?

Linux distribution specific questions
rawj

Regression in turboprint_2.12-2_amd64.deb?

Post by rawj »

I'm not sure if this issue is Ubuntu 9.10 amd64 specific but here is the problem. I previously used turboprint 2.11-2 amd64 on both Ubuntu 9.04 x64 and Ubuntu 9.10 x64 with no issues. A few days ago I downloaded the turboprint 2.12-2 amd64 deb file. I uninstalled the older turboprint version and installed the newer one.

I went to add my Canon iP4000 printer using the TurboPrint Control program and I noticed right away that the tpu:// URI was not offered, only the usb:// URI. The Canon iP4000 is connected locally so I thought something might have changed and went ahead with the printer install selecting Canon iP4000 on the usb:// URI.

When I tried to print a test page to the iP4000, CUPS complained that it was missing a "commandtoturboprint" filter which I believe is a script that should be in both usr/lib64/cups/filter and usr/lib/cups/filter folders on an Ubuntu system.

I reinstalled the older version of turboprint, 2.11-2 amd64, and sure enough all worked well again and the "commandtoturboprint" script was in the two folders mentioned above.

For now, I'll stick with the older version. Any idea why the newer version of turboprint doesn't install the commandtoturboprint script?

Thanks
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

thank you for your feedback!

I compared the installation files and scripts and could not find a difference concerning installation of "commandtoturboprint".
The file "commandtoturboprint" is also being properly installed on our Ubuntu 9.10 x64 system.

Is the file "commandtoturboprint" actually missing on your system when you install TurboPrint 2.12-2? You could to copy it from /usr/share/turboprint/lib.
rawj

Post by rawj »

Yes, the commandtoturboprint file is actually missing from the the usr/lib64/cups/filter and usr/lib/cups/filter folders when I install Turboprint 2.12-2. It seemed pretty strange to me also. I did notice that when I do the 2.12-2 install by double clicking the .deb file it does seem to throw a lot of error messages but concludes that the installation was successful. This didn't bother me because 2.11-2 seemed to throw the same type of error messages when installed from the .deb file.

Maybe I should try the 2.12-2 install from a terminal command line so I can see what is actually going on ?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

It would be great if you could execute

sudo dpkg -i <filename of TurboPrint deb package>

and post the command line output.
rawj

Post by rawj »

OK, I unistalled 2.11-2 via Synaptic and then installed 2.12-2 via command line (sudo dpkg -i turboprint_2.12-2_amd64.deb). Below are the warnings generated:
ross@ubuntu-test:~/Desktop/Downloads$ sudo dpkg -i turboprint_2.12-2_amd64.deb
[sudo] password for ross:
Selecting previously deselected package turboprint.
(Reading database ... 163272 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking turboprint (from turboprint_2.12-2_amd64.deb) ...
Setting up turboprint (2.12-2) ...
insserv: warning: script 'K20acpi-support' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (empty) of script `tpdaemon' overwrites defaults (0 1 6).
insserv: warning: script 'anacron' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'rsyslog' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'udev-finish' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'avahi-daemon' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'network-manager' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'usplash' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'acpid' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'dmesg' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'apport' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'acpi-support' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'procps' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'cron' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'atd' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (0 6) of script `networking' overwrites defaults (empty).
insserv: warning: script 'hwclock' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'udevmonitor' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'udev' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'failsafe-x' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'rsyslog-kmsg' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (0) of script `halt' overwrites defaults (empty).
insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (0 6) of script `sendsigs' overwrites defaults (empty).
insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (0 6) of script `wpa-ifupdown' overwrites defaults (empty).
insserv: warning: script 'ufw' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (0 6) of script `umountroot' overwrites defaults (empty).
insserv: warning: script 'udevtrigger' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'hal' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (6) of script `reboot' overwrites defaults (empty).
insserv: warning: script 'module-init-tools' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'hwclock-save' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'gdm' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'dbus' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (0 6) of script `umountfs' overwrites defaults (empty).
insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (0 6) of script `umountnfs.sh' overwrites defaults (empty).
insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (1) of script `policykit' overwrites defaults (empty).
insserv: There is a loop between service rsyslog and pulseaudio if stopped
insserv: loop involving service pulseaudio at depth 3
insserv: loop involving service rsyslog at depth 2
insserv: loop involving service udev at depth 1
insserv: There is a loop between service rsyslog and pulseaudio if stopped
insserv: loop involving service cups at depth 2
insserv: exiting without changing boot order!
Restarting TurboPrint printer port daemon
Creating PPD printer description files...
done
Updating existing TurboPrint printer entries...
done
/usr/share/turboprint/lib/install-post: line 472: kde4-config: command not found
Installing printer monitor applet for KDE 42
Installing printer monitor applet for Gnome
Installing printer monitor applet for Gnome 64bit
Installing Gimp TurboPrint Plugin
Installing Gimp TurboPrint Plugin 64bit

Processing triggers for man-db ...
ross@ubuntu-test:~/Desktop/Downloads$
Now the interesting thing is that this time, installing via the command line, the commandtoturboprint file is correctly deposited in the two folders /usr/lib64/cups/filter and /usr/lib/cups/filter and the printer that was previously installed under 2.11-2 was recognized along with its configuration settings. I might try this again with all traces of TurboPrint removed manually so that it looks like a brand new install. On the other hand, maybe its something buggy with the Gdebi package installer that I used initially.