TP and openSUSE 11.3

Linux distribution specific questions
Kryten2X4B

TP and openSUSE 11.3

Post by Kryten2X4B »

Anyone know of any issues regarding TP and openSUSE 11.3 (not yet officially released though, I'm just trying it out for now), or is it just my machine...

This is what happens. I've installed TP 2.15-2, and added my keyfile. The tp-daemon is running according to KDE's system-monitor. The printer (Canon Pixma IP4700) is connected and turned on (and lsusb lists it as present so the computer knows it's there).

However, when I select "Add printer" from the TP-control center, it only lists two parallell ports and not a TPU one. Consequently I cannot see or add my printer there. I then launched the CUPS webinterface and installed the printer from there. It correctly saw my printer, although it didn't have a driver for the 4700 series. Anyway, I save that printer and copies the URI.

I re-open the TP-Control center and selects "Other", and Cups-printer and adds the URI. Now I can add my printer.

Of course, this way I get two printer queues: one cups and one TP.

If I print using the TP-one, the printer does indeed print but the output is just garbage with no resemblance whatsoever to what it's supposed to be. If I use the cups one, nothing happens.

Any idea of what could be wrong? I'd be happy to provide more information, although I don't know what would be useful. Note that the same version of TP worked just fine on the same computer but with openSUSE 11.2 installed (my systemdrive died so I needed to reinstall).
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

thank you for the feedback! We are just investigating compatibility with OpenSuSE11.3.

Some changes to TurboPrint seemt to be necessary - I'll post when a new version is released.
Kryten2X4B

Post by Kryten2X4B »

Thanks! Good to know it's not my system that's acting up!

A follow-up question though: before I posted my original question I figured I should try to remove left-over files from my /home to see if that somehow had messed things up. I know, it was a long-shot but worth a try.

Still, I found a ~/.turboprint and a desktop-file in ~/.config/autostart. Is that everything pertaining to turboprint that one can find in /home?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Besides ".turboprint" and ".config/autostart/turboprint-monitor.desktop" there is also "Desktop/turboprint.desktop" and "Desktop/turboprint-monitor.desktop".
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

There is a preliminary version of TurboPrint 2.16-1 that should fix the problem with SuSE11.3 (printer connection not listed, black or garbled page printed):

ftp://ftp.zedonet.com/tp2/turboprint-2.16-1.i586.rpm
ftp://ftp.zedonet.com/tp2/turboprint-2.16-1.i586.tgz
ftp://ftp.zedonet.com/tp2/turboprint-2.16-1.x86_64.rpm
ftp://ftp.zedonet.com/tp2/turboprint-2.16-1.x86_64.tgz

If you try this version, I'd appreciate your feedback!
Kryten2X4B

Post by Kryten2X4B »

zedonet wrote: If you try this version, I'd appreciate your feedback!
I've only tried the 32-bit rpm, but that one certainly solved the problem (on a as-up-to-date as the pre-release of suse 11.3 can be as of now)! The other files I haven't tried but I assume they will do the same thing.

Thanks a lot for the prompt fix!

Just out of curiostity though: what was the problem?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

There were two problems:

1. no printers visible in TurboPrint Control:

In SuSE 11.3 it is no longer possible to list attached printers as regular user. TurboPrint now requests the admin password before opening the "add printer" dialog.

2. print output only black / garbled page:

There is a bug in the version of ghostscript (Postscript interpreter) in SuSE 11.3 rc. The bug is already known and should be fixed in the final release:

https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=603131

We have added a workaround in TurboPrint.