Borderless Printing

Linux distribution specific questions
Utterly_Frustrated

Borderless Printing

Post by Utterly_Frustrated »

I have just downloaded your current offering as a trial version and find that I am unable to print without having a white border around the photo. I am using a Epson Stylus Photo R265 on a Ubuntu 10.04 OS. My paper setting is A4 and the borderless box is ticked in the paper layout.

I store and display photos in A4 display folders and am happy to have the print from edge to edge using this display method.

I am attempting to shift away from Windows but this is the main problem that stops me from doing so.

Can you offer a solution to this problem. Thanking you in anticipation.
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Borderless Printing

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

the problem may be the following:

The proper page size must be chosen in the application. In the application program, there is no "borderless" checkbox as in TurboPrint Control Center - intead there are borderless page sizes like "A4 borderless", "4x6 borderless". To print on A4 borderless, the page size "A4 borderless" must be chosen.

From which application program did you print?

You could try from GIMP using the "TurboPrint..." print dialog.

PS: Please enable "Preview" in TurboPrint Monitor and check the page size that is displayed in TurboPrint Monitor when the print job comes up.
Utterly_Frustrated

Many thanks for your reply.

I am unfortunately away from home till the end of the week so I will have to properly advise after then. From memory TurboPrint 2 is offering me a borderless tick box against the paper size but when previewed does not properly display. I am a bit unsure what I would be using to print as I have a couple of items on my System.

I have F-Spot, Photoprint and Shotwell so I would have to get back home to see what was being used. As far as Gimp is concerned it scares the like out of me. I have come recently to Linux and if it does not have a good GUI then I am in trouble.

I will look further into matters when I get back and advise
Utterly_Frustrated

As fas as I can see I was using the default image viewer when I attempted to print. I have attempted since returning home to print using it and Shotwell and in each case the printer despite being set as the default displays as unable to locate printer.

When I check settings and layout it clearly states A4 pagesize with the borderless option ticked so why it does not perform is beyond me. My trial version is available until 19 April so I can see no reason why things are not working as they should.

I have checked and re-checked and everything is as should be to let me print OK.

Any further guidance will be appreciated.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Can you try to print borderless from GIMP, using the TurboPrint print dialog (File => "TurboPrint...")?
Make sure to choose "A4 borderless" as page size in the print dialog.
Utterly_Frustrated

Thanks for your reply.

I have looked at Gimp in the past and found that it was well beyond my abilities. Unless it has an easy interface I completely struggle.

I think that I will let things lapse at the moment and see if the promised interface improvements with Gimp ever arrive.

Looks very much like my partner will not be moving over to Linux after all. That is a great pity as I had high hopes of TurboPrint meeting her needs.