Driver for Canon PIXMA MP540

liveaxle

Driver for Canon PIXMA MP540

Post by liveaxle »

Hi.

I have a few questions, both for TP and other users:

Will there be a driver for Canon's PIXMA MP540?
I have tried drivers for the other MP5xx - series (and a few other models), but the only things I can get to work are the nozzle check and the alignment of the print heads. When i try to print something, the status monitor and the little LCD both indicate printing progress, but nothing is printed. Do you know of other drivers that may work?

Does TP's drivers enable the scanner capabilities? If not, what would you recommend? I have found that XSane doesn't recognise my printer/scanner.

Does Canon publish the specifications for the printers so you can make proper drivers, or do you have to do reverse engineering? How does Canon compare to other manufacturers in this matter?

How do you think TP's drivers compare to other (free) drivers available for Linux?

It would also be interesting to know how long time it typically takes from the release of a new printer model to a Linux driver is ready.

(Ubuntu 8.04 & x86)
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

a driver for the Canon MP540 will be released in approx. 1-2 months. Unfortunately this printer doesn't seem to work with other existing drivers.

TurboPrint is only a printer driver, the scanner unit is not supported (but may be supported in the future by SANE).

Difference to other drivers:

TurboPrint comes with a printer status monitor with print preview function.
We try to get the best print quality by supporting all print modes incl. highest resolution and by creating color profiles for different media types.
We also try to support all printer features (e.g. duplex printing and CD/DVD print on certain printers).

Yes, Canon publishes specifications (sometimes a bit late).