Turboprint profiles for printable CDs/DVDs?

aaribaud

Turboprint profiles for printable CDs/DVDs?

Post by aaribaud »

Hello,

Does TurboPrint handle printing / profiling color charts on printable CDs/DVDs?

Thanks in advance,
Albert.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

this is supported, but still "experimental":

To create a profile for a CD/DVD, open TurboPrint Control Center, button "Profiles" and add a new profile entry with "Type of paper"="CD printable" (note: the button "Print ink limit test row" is not functional).

Then insert a printable CD/DVD and press "Print color chart".
aaribaud

Post by aaribaud »

Thanks. I've just tried it, and apparently, while it seems to print the color chart itself, it does not print any identification information on the CD. I assume, then, that I'll need to provide these along with the CD in the mail.

What information will be needed exactly?

Thanks in advance
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

we need the information that is visible in the "TurboPrint Profiles" window, table "Profile data" - you could also make a screenshot (resize the window so that the complete table is visible) plus the "profile measurement code" that you get when you purchase a profile measurement.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

...I just stumbled over this thread again and wondered how print quality on CD (DVD?) with our color profile turned out?
aaribaud

Post by aaribaud »

Thanks for following up on this--sorry, I should have replied myself earlier.

I did apply the profile and have printed several DVDs with it already, and the color quality seemed good but that was not under good lightinig conditions, and as these were new prints, I could not compare with existing ones. I'll make a comparison under correct lighting later today and let you know.
aaribaud

Post by aaribaud »

Okay, so I compared one of the DVDs I'd printed with the profle to a print made witth the "CD printable" profile.

Green in general are definitely much more correct with the profile. There's a character with an outfit that has shades of grey. Appears greenish w/o profile, appears grey with it.

Blue drags ever so slightly towards purple w/o profile, much less with it, but still is far away from the rather pure-blue color that I used for testing. Overall, blue is much more pronounced (there are barely noticeable blue traces w/o profile, quite visible with it).

Red, OTOH, remains quite orange-ish and doesn't significantly change with or w/o profile applied.

I can scan the results of printings w/o and with profile. My scanner isn't calibrated but maybe comparing profiled and non-profiled prints would be enough?

HTH,

albert.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Thank you for the feedback.

It is not necessary to make scans - it sounds as if the profile works as intended (as far as it is possible to create a good color profile using the small surface of a CD or DVD).