test pattern not very demanding

zedan

test pattern not very demanding

Post by zedan »

I just ran the test page from version 2 and although it printed cleanly , I find it not to be very demanding test pattern. It looks fine but does not allow to examine in detail the print quality.

critique/suggestions.

the blocked colour gradients give the optical iilusion that each block is no uniform and has an inverse tonal gradient. A continuous gradient would not have this illusion and would be a more detailed test of gradient smoothness provided by the driver.

the radial pinwheel pattern is good in principal but again lacks precision. cups 1.3.x used a similar pattern but with much closer spacing, probably one degree steps. The cups pattern gives a much more nuanced result which is very demanding of the printer and gives a much better diagnostic.

Normally I would just use the CUPS test page but sadly more recent cups test page no longer has the pinwheel and thier colour gradient is ridiculously small.

could you make your test pattern more demanding or possibly provide more than one test pattern. I see the recent addition of the demo page so test page 1, test page 2 should be easy enough to implement.

A highly detailed test pattern is a good means of assessing the degradation of a printer and head alignment errors.

The drivers are of excellent quality , it's a shame that the test pattern does not push them to the limit.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

thanks for the suggestions - we'll improve the test page in a future TurboPrint version.