Strange bug...

Kryten2X4B

Strange bug...

Post by Kryten2X4B »

Not sure if this is the correct section to post this, but if it's not: please feel to move it to a more appropriate one.

I'm using Turboprint 2.14 on openSUSE 11.2 (using a Canon Pixma 4700). Apart from one thing, it works great!

The strange bug I encountered only shows up when one of the print-cartridges is not installed. I knew I had removed the empty yellow cartridge and not installed a new one, and wanted to know how much ink was left in the other ones and I also knew the magenta one was beginning to run low (it should have been around 30 % full at the most). I was not sure of the cyan and black cartridges though so I wanted to see if I needed to restock on those as well.

You can imagine my surprise when the control center stated that ALL cartridges were 100 % full, including the missing yellow one.

IMO, the control center should say something along the lines of "Cartridge missing" or at least "0 % ink left", and the other ones should be reported accurately. It's rather hard otherwise to know which ones to order.

Or doesn't the hardware of the printer in question support this?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

ink levels are reported by the printer, so TurboPrint does not have any influence to this information. I would also expect the printer to issue a warning that not all cartridges are installed but probably the ink levels are not accessible at this point. We will check if TurboPrint is leaving out any a warning message in that case.
With one cartridge missing the printer will not print, so it is not a good idea to remove a single cartridge without replacing it - especially because some remaining ink might dry and block the nozzles.
Reinserting the missing (empty) cartridge should reenable the ink level reporting.
Kryten2X4B

Post by Kryten2X4B »

Yes, I realize you can't do anything about it if the printer doesn't support it.

Just struck me as unlikely that the hardware wouldn't warn about missing cartridges or being able to determine how much is left in the other cartridges if one was missing. Then again, I'm no hardware engineer so there's probably a good reason for it if that is indeed the case.

It's not a big deal though. And thanks for a great program! Worth every cent and then some!