Support for OKI Laser printers

mr_spock123

Support for OKI Laser printers

Post by mr_spock123 »

Hello,
it's possible to support the OKI laser printers ? Like the C800 series

https://www.oki.com/uk/printing/products/colour/index.html

they are very nice, their drivers already is not bad but I would just imagine how cool could be have printfab supporting it!

Thanks !
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Support for OKI Laser printers

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

Oki laser printers like the C824/C834/C844 (print size A3) are currently not directly supported by PrintFab. According to Oki specifications, the printers are compatible with PCL5c & PCL6 printer command language, this means it should work with the following PrintFab replacement drivers:

HP ColorLaserJet PCLXL (PCL6 / PCLXL command language)
HP ColorLaserJet 8500 (PCL5c command language)

You can test functionality with the 30 day trial version which is available for download at www.printfab.com -> link "Download".

If you try printfab with a replacement driver, we would appreciate your feedback.
mr_spock123

Post by mr_spock123 »

Hello I managed finally to test it with an oki C844, both driver works however both have a drawback.

One has support only for a4, but supports 1200 dpi with a newer version language, PCL 6.
One has support even for a3 but the maximum dpi are 600dpi with an older language, PCL 5.

I assume this is due the fact the driver was originally tailored for these 2 HP printer models with their media size, language and dpi limitation.

To me the driver works fine, could it be possible for you to insert an OKI C844 support in the next release but providing both A3 and 1200dpi and PCL 6 support? Also whatever extra option you could add would be fine !

Last but not least. Because all these machines support at least Emulated Postscript LV 3 (that is the same of Postscript lv3, just with an open source interpreter instead official adobe licensed one), could it be possible make also a C 844 emulated postscript 3 version the driver?

I offer myself as beta tester if you like but I guess being all these laser machines based on documented PCL and PS languages create a new driver for them would be more simplified than usb sniffing.

Please!

Best regards!
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

The PrintFab driver "HP ColorLaserJet PCLXL" has support for A3 paper size, at least in the current PrintFab version. Which PrintFab version do you have installed (PrintFab App -> dialog "About / License")?

The current PrintFab version also has a generic "HP ColorLaserJet Postscript" driver. Some printers need manufacturer specific postscript commands, e.g. to select the print quality, so this driver may not work properly for your Oki C844 printers.
mr_spock123

Post by mr_spock123 »

using the 1.9 version, just noticed also that both the drivers only list Perceptual as color mode aside "no color correction for print targets"