Issues using Canon Pro 100

dmylrea

Issues using Canon Pro 100

Post by dmylrea »

Just downloaded the beta PrintFab for Windows. I have a Canon Pixma Pro 100, and I'm no expert. :) (Just wanted to make that clear!)

I have a couple of issues. First, there is some anomaly when I adjust the slider controls on the color tab. When I change the settings off the default, print, then go back into those settings, the changed settings are not only kept (or reset to default), but they are opposite.
In other words, if I adjust the Color Gamut +20% and print, when I go back in to print again, the Color Gamut is -10%. Any of the sliders on the color tab or the Print mode section of the Main tab does this.

Second, I find the Color Space keeps getting reset to "Apple RGB (Bright)" when the default is supposed to be "sRGB (Default)". I've never wanted or chose the Apple RGB setting, yet it keeps going back to that setting.

Lastly, I find the Color Gamut setting isn't doing much. I find the output from PrintFab lacks any vividness. After reading the manual, the Color Gamut setting is supposed to adjust that. I tried raising that almost to the top and still the photo has very little change.
A picture with sunlit grass shows a very vivid green, yet the printed output shows a dark green grass that does not have the "pop" of the picture.

I have generally kept most the color settings unchanged. I set "Intent" on Perception, Color Space on sRGB and Color Mode to Color (RGB). Pictures are JPG's from a Nikon D7100. I print from Photoshop CS6 with color management set to "Printer controls..."

Ideas? I want to like PrintFab, but with the lack of ability to get photos that "Pop" with vivid colors, I'm not so enthused.

Thanks!
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Issues using Canon Pro 100

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

the anomaly with adjustment sliders is known - it seems to occur only when printing from Adobe software and only under certain circumstances.

The other problems that you describe are related - Color Space getting reset to "AppleRGB" and muted colors because the "Gamut" slider only works to reduce vividness of colors.

Two questions that might help us to fix the problem:

- Do you use the 32bit or 64bit version of Photoshop CS6?
- Which version of Windows do you have?
dmylrea

Post by dmylrea »

zedonet wrote:Hello,

the anomaly with adjustment sliders is known - it seems to occur only when printing from Adobe software and only under certain circumstances.

The other problems that you describe are related - Color Space getting reset to "AppleRGB" and muted colors because the "Gamut" slider only works to reduce vividness of colors.

Two questions that might help us to fix the problem:

- Do you use the 32bit or 64bit version of Photoshop CS6?
- Which version of Windows do you have?
64 bit Photoshop CS6 and Windows 7 x64.

I will say that the improvement over the Canon-supplied drivers is that they have a problem with blues looking purpleish. Skies, instead of being pure blue, have a purple tinge to them.
The PrintFab driver, though, outputs perfectly blue skies. Yay! Now, if we could just get the colors to brighten up and have some "pop" to them.

Am I to understand your statement about the Gamut slider is that no matter which way you slide it, it only REDUCES the vividness? I would have thought increasing the slider increases the vividness?

Thanks!
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Thank you for your quick reply!

The "Gamut" slider should increase vividness when pushed upwards. When printing from Photoshop CS6, vividness is sometimes reduced instead. I will post when the problem is fixed.
dmylrea

Post by dmylrea »

zedonet wrote:Thank you for your quick reply!

The "Gamut" slider should increase vividness when pushed upwards. When printing from Photoshop CS6, vividness is sometimes reduced instead. I will post when the problem is fixed.
OK, so I can print the same photo from another (non-Adobe) program and the Gamut slider should increase vividness correctly? I will try it. Thanks.