Artisan 1430 (1500W) Black vs Epson Driver w/Cone Pro Inks

BrandonBates

Artisan 1430 (1500W) Black vs Epson Driver w/Cone Pro Inks

Post by BrandonBates »

I'm trying to get PrintFab to get down to the level of black that the epson driver hits using Cone Color Pro Inks. Currently tried up to 150-200 saturation by modifying the printer tpm file. Also tried the built in profile of epson premium glossy with everything maxed up and GCR at max. I believe that oddly enough with this ink it is "blacker" when it is not mixed with c or m or y.

Epson Lab L value 4
Printfab Best L value 5.6 (with lots of ink pooling when printing blue)

Any advice?
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Artisan 1430 (1500W) Black vs Epson Driver w/Cone Pro Inks

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

please excuse the delay. When creating your own profile, please folow these instructions:

https://www.turboprint.info/support/vie ... =22&t=7459

If you suspect that it is better to use more black and less cmy, please select "Set ink saturation limit =200" when setting up the profile entry.
You can also increase black and leave cmy in the .tpm file

Code: Select all

[5760dpi]
Channels=k,c,m,y,c2,m2
Gamma=550
Saturation=50
Saturation_Y=40
Saturation_K=70 ;you can experiment with this value
An L-value of 5.6 is still very good if you look at this table

Code: Select all

The following table lists the L-Value in the Lab system (100=white 0=black)

Canon           Pro-10     Pro-100     Epson               SC-P600 / P800
Plain Paper     27           38        Plain Paper         25  (Matte Black)
Matte HR-101    20           17        Matte Inkjet Paper  23
Matte MP-101    21           18        Archival Matte      16
Fineart FA-PM1  19           16
Glossy PT-101    8            6        Premium Glossy      3   (Glossy Black)

of course, if you can reach L=4 with the Epson driver it should also be possible with PrintFab.
BrandonBates

Post by BrandonBates »

That was helpful I'm getting closer now. Printing in CMYK I'm trying to improve the gray balance of cmy to better match K (right now it's very cyan-green, even with m and m2 set to saturation 200) but it seems that light magenta is coming in too early in that combo. I see some other posts where people talk about modifying the built in curves. I see the sets of numbers under the entry you pointed out, but I'm not sure how they work. Could you provide a little info and also how the changeover from M to M2 (magenta to light magenta) happens?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Please excuse my delayed response.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to adjust the changeover from magenta/cyan to light magenta/light cyan - it is computed from the density tables.

You could try to switch off light cyan & light magenta by modifying the .tpm file. If this makes a big difference, it makes sense to measure the actual density curves for the Cone Color Pro inks (you would have to create and send in a linearization test chart).