printing from Photoshop/Lightroom using ProPhoto RGB

mete

printing from Photoshop/Lightroom using ProPhoto RGB

Post by mete »

Hello,

I am just trying PrintFab at the moment, and printing with Epson P800 and using photoshop and lightroom. I understand printer profile has to be set to the same thing as in PrintFab color space in print settings. In the help, only AdobeRGB or sRGB is mentioned. I am working with photographs, and ProPhoto is my default color space, and I do not want to convert the images to Adobe RGB.

So my question is, if I add ProPhoto RGB to PrintFab colorspaces and then use ProPhoto RGB as printer profile in photoshop and lightroom as well as color space in PrintFab print settings, does that mean the document will stay in ProPhoto ?

Thanks,

Mete
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: printing from Photoshop/Lightroom using ProPhoto RGB

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

this is correct, you should always select the same color space in the Lightroom print settings and in the PrintFab settings:

printfab-lightroom-profile.png
printfab-lightroom-profile.png (111.48 KiB) Viewed 5334 times

Your photos will always stay in the original color space, the conversion is only performed on the image data that are sent to the printer driver.

Note: I have added the "ProPhoto RGB" color space to PrintFab using the PrintFab Toolbox, dialog "Manage Color Profiles".
Adding additional color space profiles is only available in PrintFab Pro, not in PrintFab Home.
ramestica

Post by ramestica »

A tangential question here. How do you add the "ProPhoto RGB" color space? In my ubuntu system I tried loading the file shown below, but 'New Color Space' ended with an error message 'the selected file is not a valid color profile'.

/usr/share/color/icc/colord/ProPhotoRGB.icc
ramestica

Post by ramestica »

browsing around I came to the posting listed below. The file 'ProPhoto RGB.icc' linked there is actually accepted by turboprint as a new color space. This file is much shorter (940 bytes) than the file I mentioned before (16756 bytes).

Any hint about the difference between both files and why the larger one is not accepted by turboprint will be appreciated a lot.

Thanks,
Rodrigo

https://discuss.pixls.us/t/gimp-2-9-color-picker-values/6953/7
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello ramestica,

normally all valid ICC files should work. Difficult to say why your ICC profile was not accepted - if you send it by email, we can check what the problem is. (to mail * zedonet * de, replace * by "@" and ".").
ramestica

Post by ramestica »

thanks!

file sent attached to email.