Canon6700D worse colors with PrintFAB then with Canon driver

smile

Re: Canon6700D worse colors with PrintFAB then with Canon dr

Post by smile »

I see there is a folder inside the printfab with what appears like cartridge files (named by cartridge name) inside is what looks like linearization data.

Can you please provide a version of printfab that can edit these or utility for this job? I want to make tests, with prinfab to get optimal curves before printing the profile target. You can contact me by email the PM is disabled on this forum.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

There are two things we could try:

1. Sending in a PrintFab color profile would be helpful for us as we could compare the quality of the different profiling workflows - creating your own ICC profile vs. our measurement service. Maybe we can find out if there is a general problem in the ICC profile workflow.

2. Performing a printer density calibration before color profiling also makes sense. Currently it is only possible to print linearization curves using a command line tools and measurement data must be entered using a text editor. I could send you instructions by email. How do you measure density values - do you have a density measurement tool for your spectrophotometer or do you want to use Lab values?
smile

Post by smile »

zedonet wrote:There are two things we could try:

1. Sending in a PrintFab color profile would be helpful for us as we could compare the quality of the different profiling workflows - creating your own ICC profile vs. our measurement service. Maybe we can find out if there is a general problem in the ICC profile workflow.

I have sent email you scanned testchart for papers "papers.rar" did you get it? I got no reply from you to my email.

2. Performing a printer density calibration before color profiling also makes sense. Currently it is only possible to print linearization curves using a command line tools and measurement data must be entered using a text editor. I could send you instructions by email. How do you measure density values - do you have a density measurement tool for your spectrophotometer or do you want to use Lab values?
I measure density values by spectrometer then convert to density using profilemaker 5. If you could send me the reference data for linearization test chart so I can generate a target for my spectrometer I could print and read it. Then I could use your instructions to use my density values or perhaps enter them directly to required file.

How do I make the PrintFAB print with straight linearization curves?
I see that printfab saves data to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ZEDOnet\PrintFab 1.x
the file that has the curves is *.tpr right?

THank you awaiting reply.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

the *.tpr files are the right place to edit linearization curves. I sent you an email with details.
smile

Post by smile »

Just to let everyone know, I was not able to resolve this.

Zedonet provided a custom version with possibility to print lin curves, but they were unable to produce any better ouput :(
I wonder has anything changed in this regard, is there any upgrades to software in printing lin curves?

Because now the PrintFAB works only if

a) you use Zedonet profiling service
b) you use Canon papers and Canon inks and have spectrometer or Colormunki etc. to make your own profiles.

The latter works because PrintFAB has canned lin curves that is not changeable by loading ICC profile, and Zedonet had made these lin cuves on Canon paper with Canon inks therefore the curves describe canon media and ink behavior. They do not match your third party inks that you might be using in your printer. Since that is a huge limitation considering how many users have a device to actually make profiles I suggested that a proper way to print lin curves would be available so that not only Zedonet but also any user who own proper equipment could make their own profiles.

This would be huge because now when you make your custom profiles with say Colormunki etc.you are still bound by manufacturer canned in the driver lin curves, the printFAB as it is now is no better, but could change if you could do your own lin curves.
smile

Re: Canon6700D worse colors with PrintFAB then with Canon driver

Post by smile »

I emailed zedonet asking why for 10Years they can't add the custom lin cuves. Actually the interface to enter them, as the so called backend is there.

Hello, you've been promising custom lin curves for many years now.I can count 10Years, how much longer ?
I've been busy adding new printers and features so it seems you have time to add those, but not essential features for accurate color management with your software.
Why you keep ignoring and promising never ending feature to be added?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

sorry for the misunderstanding, it was not my intention to keep you waiting. I thought that I wrote that it is not certain if a linearization will actually be added to PrintFab.

PrintFab is a lower priced driver software and targets users without expensive additional hardware (photospectrometer) and software (e.g. profile creation). Our experience is that users with such equipment also have a separate high end RIP solution.

If you want to use PrintFab because other RIP software does not support a certain printer, I also have good news: Whe have recently started a cooperation with Ergosoft RIP that makes all its professional features available for PrintFab drivers. When using Ergosoft RIP with the plugin "Mosaic Professional" you can print using any PrintFab CMYK printer driver and also linearize and relinearize it. Many spectrophotometers are directly supported by Ergosoft.

Many current inkjet printers can only be controlled in RGB mode by the printer driver, so adding a linearization makes less sense now.
smile

Post by smile »

If you want to use PrintFab because other RIP software does not support a certain printer, I also have good news: Whe have recently started a cooperation with Ergosoft RIP that makes all its professional features available for PrintFab drivers. When using Ergosoft RIP with the plugin "Mosaic Professional" you can print using any PrintFab CMYK printer driver and also linearize and relinearize it. Many spectrophotometers are directly supported by Ergosoft.
I want to use PrintFAB because it allows for easy ink limiting, it has maybe not per channel controls but still can adjust ink by channels.
Ergosoft RIP does not even list prices, that's one shady company. I however found prices here http://chiericati.com/ergosoft/LIST%20P ... EUR_EN.pdf

So I would understand if your parthnership would offer cheap Ergosoft RIP license for A3+ and smaller printers with full ink channel control. However it's quite the opposite, you want somebody to cash 1000Eur to 2000Eur for A3 printer for ink channel controls? Are you crazy?

Chinese Whiterip is cheap and works with all usual A3 EPSON printers. I hoped PrintFAB will be next best thing since GimpPrint, Gutenrprint etc. after all you make linux version. But seems I was wrong. Seems like there is no market for easy and cheap RIP for A3 printers. You must use GimpPrint, Gutenrprint or full blown RIP from some Warez site as 2000Eur when your printer costs 300Eur is simply crazy.