Network printer error "Can't detect file type"

SapeS

Network printer error "Can't detect file type"

Post by SapeS »

Dear forum members,

I need some help: I have a 64 bit desktop (server) PC LinuxMint 17 with a Canon Pixma iP5200 connected to its USB port. Al is working fine. There is a automatically installed printer on a usb:// port as well as a TurboPrint printer on a tpu:// port. I also want to approach this printer from a 32-bit Dell Xubuntu 13.10 laptop as a client. I can connect a standard network printer without trouble since the printer is shared and Cups is configured such that all printing is allowed. However, installing a tp network printer gives me a headache. I tried all ways, but concentrated on ipp and Cups (other) like URI ipp://192.168.1.39/printers/Canon-iP5200. When trying to print a test page, the tp printer dialogue window cannot find the printer and gives a spooler message "Can't detect file type". This message is also found in both the client's and server's job page on the CUPS web interface. The server detects an error though, as it offers to start some diagnostic tool that did not help much. The tp printerlog file gives no errors that I recognize. Sorry, I cannot attach a file as this site does not allow any extension. I'm using tp 2.25-2, by the way.

Can anybody assist?
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Network printer error "Can't detect file type"

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

I could not reproduce the problem on my Mint 17 installation. According to the following post the problem might depend on the version of the package cups-filters or cups:

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/239416
spottraining

Post by spottraining »

Hi

I have the same problem. I can't get TurboPrint to work over network.

Server is Linux Mint 17 and client is Linux Mint 18.
In server computer - everything works like charm. But now I need to set up second computer also to print with TurboPrint (We have license for 3 users). Some years ago - this kind of solution work - but now I can't get it work any more.

In client - normal cups shared network printers (Epson P50 and 1500W) - working fine. But we need to set up color correction also in client computer - and that I can't get to work. Firewall is in bouth computer off.
When I am adding ipp printer - when I am printing test page - I see in server cups status - Can't detect file type and also in client computer the same message.
spottraining

Post by spottraining »

This Can't detect file type is now gone. But new problem - nothing prints trough TurboPrint.

All three computers are now on Linux Mint 18 64bit. Turbo Print version is 2.39 in all computers. No firewall in computers. Everything working like charm - when printers are connected locally. All printers printing over network as normal Cups printers. But when I want add network printer in TurboPrint - I am choosing ipp protocol - and I am choosing printer name what is in server computer connected troughs TurboPrint (tpp protocol). Then - I can see ink levels, I can do nozzle checks - but nothing prints! In local computer - TurboPrint and also cups showing, that job completed. Server computer also - cups takes the job and shows - that job is completed. But nothing prints. I changed server (where printers are connected) - still the same. As we using custom color profiles - we need to get it work in two computers.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

we just got in touch via email and fount out the following:

Depending on the Linux version on the printer server, print jobs were not processed properly because of an incompatible "file type" of the print job.

The current TurboPrint version 2.43 solves the problem.
spottraining

Post by spottraining »

That's correct. Now I am waiting license upgrade.