Canon Pixma Pro 10s - network printing not working

itfixt

Canon Pixma Pro 10s - network printing not working

Post by itfixt »

I suspect I haven't got the correct driver type set. Has anyone any idea what it should be for this printer? I have tried CUPS and LPD but in both cases, the printer feeds paper, prints the top of the sheet - a single line of text (pressing the clear/cancel job button on the printer ejects the sheet). However, the printer Busy light keeps on flashing. I've cancelled the print jobs in Turboprint but that makes no difference (unsurprisingly really). Some seconds later, the printer makes sounds as though it's going to start printing again but then goes back to sleep with the busy light still flashing. A power off/on cycle is required to get it out of that.

If needed, OS is Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

Dave
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Canon Pixma Pro 10s - network printing not working

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

the recommended network protocol for Canon printers is BJNP.

When adding or modifying the printer in TurboPrint Control, your printer might already be in the list of automatically detected printers ("Standard printer", drop down list "Choose port") with the entry "Canon Pro 10s ...", the field "URI" below should start with "bjnp:/..".

If not , you can configure it manually by selecting "Choose port"="other" and entering "bjnp://<ip-address>" as URI where <ip-address> is the ip address or network name of the printer (e.g. "bjnp://192.168.17.10").
itfixt

Post by itfixt »

Thanks. I reset it to that (I think I was wrong and it was originally set the way you describe automatically) and tried a test/status print. It still behaves in the same way. Within a few seconds of printing starting, the job status goes to "held". The printer monitor shows "Network host '192.168.1.126' is busy; will retry in 30 seconds..." When it hits zero, the status goes to Processing" but the "busy" message remains & stays stuck on 30s. The progress is stuck on 5%.

Before I found Turboprint, I installed Libtiff4 and CNIJFilter and, although there was not a specific filter for the 10s, I wonder if some part of this is "getting in the way"?
itfixt

Post by itfixt »

So I tried to switch the printer off - power switch had no effect. So tried the cancel button - still nothing. So held it in for 3 or 4 secs - nothing. Power switch again and a few seconds later it powered off.

A few seconds later, it powered on again and printed the test page!!

So I tried printing a picture (from a WINE app, yet) and it worked :D :D :D

I have suspect that the printer may have needed the power cycle after the protocol change to clear its stack. Why it wasn't working before is a mystery but as long as it stays working, I'm happy and will now buy a Turboprint licence, much preferable to having to return the 10s for a refund!

Thanks!