Canon MX700 cannot print over the network.

gentleman_nosh

Canon MX700 cannot print over the network.

Post by gentleman_nosh »

Hi,
Whenever I attempt to print over the network from openSUSE 11.1 (x86_64), the file appears to be sent to the printer, however the printer fails to register a job or print. (Have also attempted with Ubuntu 8.04 with no luck)

The ink levels seem to be indicated in the TurboPrint Monitor. When you click on print test page, the job is created in the Job's tab, and then transfers to the Info tab, so seems to send the job okay. however no activity takes place on the printer.

What can I do to diagnose, or repair this? Do you require any further info?
Printer is connected via "other (CUPS URl)"
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hi,

Probably your printer does not work with the network protocol you are using. Normally either "Socket/Jetdirect" or "LPR" work.

Some Canon printers do not support any of these protocols and need the special BJNP protocol. The current version of TurboPrint also installs the BJNP backend. This backend automatically detects your network printer - so it should be shown in the list of standard connections (TurboPrint Control Center).
The connection URI should then e.g. show "bjnp://192.168.12.123".
halQ

Post by halQ »

It would have been reeeeaaaallll nice if the help applet had stated so in the information about choosing "standard" or "other" printer. Not a good show.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hi,

do you mean that the context help / online help manual should be improved / completed?
If so, please suggest where and which information to add.

Thank you!
halQ

No documentation on bjnp protocol anywhere

Post by halQ »

The directions in the manuals have no mention of the canon bjnp protocol. There is no mention of the bjnp protocol when in the setup applet. All documentation directs the installer to use the "other" option for network attached printers. I would be bald by now or TurboPrint would be 86'ed if I had not found your post in the forum.Far too much work for something that is "falling off a log easy". (This seems to be a general pattern for anything Linux). Either have a very large indicator on that setup page that says to use the "standard" option to look for a Canon bjnp printer, or better yet, since the Canon is a network attached printer, "Other" is where one expects to find and make the connection. it is also where it should be. You folks really should take more care in building your software and documentation. Right now I'm a bit hesitant to layout $$ for your software. If TurboPrint supplied drivers for an Epson Artisan 50 (that included the ability to print on CD/DVD's) I would be more inclined.