The process "usb" stopped unexpectedly with status

johnjuliano

The process "usb" stopped unexpectedly with status

Post by johnjuliano »

I receive this message running MAC OS 10.6 printing to a shared printer on a Mac running 10.4

"The process "usb" stopped unexpectedly with status 79"

What causes this? What is the best way to correct the problem and resume printing?

--john
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello johnjuliano,

apparently this error message is produced by the Mac with the shared printer, i.e. the usb port driver "usb" failed.
This is probably not a special PrintFab problem but caused by an unstable "usb" backend driver. There is a more reliable usb driver, called "usbtb", which is available for free.
We have placed a link to this alternative USB driver on the PrintFab download page at www.printfab.com. Please try to install the usbtb driver on your OS X 10.4 Mac, then change the existing printing queue from "usb" to "usbtb" or establish a new printing queue using usbtb.
In case you set up a new printing queue, pleae make sure that you also change your printer connection on the OS 10.6 mac to address the new usbtb queue.
johnjuliano

Thanks

Post by johnjuliano »

Thanks for this reply. We will try that.

--john
johnjuliano

usbtb installation a success (?)

Post by johnjuliano »

Hi,

The installer installed after a number of error messages. The installer said it could not find a compatible CUPS front-end for the printer -- which I think makes sense.

At the end of the installation, I received a success message and all seems fine.

I was able to make a connection through the usbtb, though it took a few minutes for software to find the printer through that connection. All seems to be working fine.

One small note, I ran the PrintFab printer utility while I was printing and received, initially, a time-out error and then printer busy messages until I restarted the Mac that printer was attached to.

Other than that, everything has been working very well. Thanks for the help.

--john