Root Password Required To Print

Frank A

Root Password Required To Print

Post by Frank A »

Hi,
I have a Canon MP520 connected to a Windows Vista desktop. The printer is shared for network printing. I am printing to it with my Ubuntu 9.10 laptop over a wireless network using TurboPrint 2.12-2. Each time I print over the network, a dialog pops up and I must enter my root password to print. I am not required to enter my root password if I connect the printer to a usb port on the laptop. Can you tell me what I need to do to keep from having to enter my root password to print over the network?
Thanks,
Frank
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

when a printer is shared from a Windows computer, it is shared for all users by default. If it is shared only for certain users, a username and password has to be entered when the printer is set up in TurboPrint Control Center.

It may be the case that TurboPrint Monitor comes up when you start a print job and shows that an error has occured (paused print queue) - on some Linux distributions you will have to enter the root password to start the print queue again.
Frank A

Post by Frank A »

Hello,

The printer is shared for all users.

The TurboPrint Monitor does not indicate an error and the print queue is not paused, other than waiting for me to enter my root password.

Is there something else I should look at?
Should I try uninstalling and reinstalling TurboPrint?