Cannot print to Canon TS9520 via wireless network

kenaaker

Cannot print to Canon TS9520 via wireless network

Post by kenaaker »

My basic configuration is Turboprint 2.48-2.x86_64 installed on an OpenSuSE Leap 42.3 server with a "TurboPrint Pro Family" license for 3 users. I'm trying to use a Canon TS9420 over a wireless link. I almost always get no output at all from the TS9520 when I try to print anything.
Using the Turboprint Toolbox utilities, I try to print a test page and I always get this message. "The printer configuration is incorrect or the printer no longer exists.", and the printer shifts to a "Stopped" state. One of the things that I'm very uncertain about is which protocol to use for the printer. It seems to support everything except bjnp? I'm not certain what other information to provide. The printer is "pingable" at the static IP address that I've assigned it and the web interface on the printer seems to work Ok, so I think the network side is probably Ok.

This is the cups definition from the /etc/cups/printers.conf file.

Code: Select all

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.7.5                                                                            
# Written by cupsd on 2019-09-13 15:31
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE WHEN CUPSD IS RUNNING
<DefaultPrinter tp0>
UUID urn:uuid:72be8661-a70a-37aa-7002-68b443d0a876
Info Canon_TS9500_series
MakeModel Canon_PIXMA_TS9500series TurboPrint
DeviceURI ipp://tp0.aaker.org/printer
State Stopped
StateMessage The printer configuration is incorrect or the printer no longer exists.
StateTime 1568406647
Reason paused
Type 8400924
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
Attribute marker-colors \#000000,#00FFFF,#FF00FF,#FFFF00,none
Attribute marker-levels -1,-1,-1,-1,-1
Attribute marker-names Canon Black Ink Tank,Canon Cyan Ink Tank,Canon Magenta Ink Tank,Canon Yellow Ink Tank,Canon Pgbk Ink Tank
Attribute marker-types ink-cartridge,ink-cartridge,ink-cartridge,ink-cartridge,ink-cartridge
Attribute marker-change-time 1568406645
</Printer>
And this is the Turboprint config section from the /etc/turboprint/turboprint.cfg file

Code: Select all

[turbo10]
Default=1
Name="Canon_TS9500_series"
Short="tp0"
Port="ipp"
Devicename="dnssd://tp0._ipp._tcp.local/"
Filename="/tmp/turboprint.prn"
Remoteprinter="printer"
Remoteserver="tp0.aaker.org"
Remoteuser=""
Remotepassword=""
Remoteworkgroup=""
Remoteip=""
Remotesocket=""
Remoteuri="ipp://tp0.aaker.org/printer"
Driver="Canon_PIXMA_TS9500series"
Redirectqueue=""
Redirectmonitor=""
Colormode=2
Preview=1
Cartridge=0
Paper=0
Quality=1
Pagesize=1
Borderlessexpand=2
Customsize=5000,7000
Feed=0
Tray=0
Duplex=0,0,0
Copies=1
Dithering=0
Truematch=1
Mirror=0
Usercolor=0
Brightness=0
Contrast=0
Screengamma=180
Inkvolume=0
Shadows=0
Colorsaturation=0
Intensity_KCMY=0,0,0,0
Limit_KCMY=0,0,0,0
Inklimit=0
Bright_KCMY=0,0,0,0
UCR=0
TAC=0
Colorspace=0
CMYKspace=0
Intent=1
Greytone_AB=0,0
RefLight=6500
GS_X_Scale=100
GS_Y_Scale=100
GS_X_Offset=0
GS_Y_Offset=0
GS_Screen_Lpi=0
GS_Buffer=0
PIC_Ignore_Margins=0
PIC_Position=0,0
PIC_Size=7000,0
PIC_Center=1,1
PIC_Aspect=1
A2PS_Defaults=0
A2PS_Landscape=0
A2PS_Borders=1
A2PS_Headers=1
A2PS_Columns=1
Landscape=0
Number_Up=1
Image_X=1
Image_Y=1
Image_Scaling=100
Use_Image_Scaling=0
Image_DPI=300
Use_Image_DPI=0
Text_CPI=10
Text_LPI=6
Pretty_Print=0
Settings=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0

zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Cannot print to Canon TS9520 via wireless network

Post by zedonet »

Hello and pleas excuse the late answer.

The Canon PIXMA TS9520 doesn't accept the BJNP protocol any longer, Canon seems to have removed this protocol in the current inkjet printers.

In your turboprint.cfg file, I can see the device name "dnssd://tp0._ipp._tcp.local/" which is probably incorrect.

I suggest to set up the printer manually with the following steps:

1. find the printer's IP address in the printers WiFi setup, it is a combination of four numbers separated by dots (e.g. "192.168.17.33")
2. open TurboPrint Control and click on "Edit"
3. select "oter printer", connection "Network printer Socket / Jetdirect"
4. enter the IP address in the field "Server", leave the field "Port" empty
5. press "Ok" to save the changes (your login password will be requested)
6. Open the dialog "Toolbox" and try to print a test page
kenaaker

Re: Cannot print to Canon TS9520 via wireless network

Post by kenaaker »

Thank you for the suggestion. I gave that a try and got a similar result, (just without the "The printer configuration is incorrect or the printer no longer exists." message.) I had tried lpd previously with the same result, but I didn't try the JetDirect option, since I thought that was more for HP printers. I think I figured out one bit of "outside" configuration that was possibly causing problems. I had previously configured the Linux system to publish the printers as "AirPrint" devices, so the TS9520 found that the Bonjour name tp0 was already in use, so it "fixed" its name to tp0-2, which lead to some confusion on my part.

And just to add to the confusion, I collected tcpdump traces of the network traffic to the TS9520. Unfortunately the captures are for the IPP protocol setup. (That was accidental on my part, I had reverted the configuration as I was messing about with things). Interestingly though, the initial IPP request to the TS9520 fails at the IPP request to get the printer attributes (the printer sends back a 400 status in the http response). Then, since I was still "messing about" I configured the TS9520 on a Windows 10 VM running on the same hardware and was able to get a tcpdump capture of the Windows driver printing one page. The http request was a bit different for that. Started with "POST /canon/ij/command2/port1 HTTP/1.1" followed by a "GET /canon/ij/command2/port1 HTTP/1.1" which yielded a whole xml document with the printer attributes in it (seemingly...)

I don't know if the difference in IPP requests is useful information or not.