Re: Printing with color profiles

Questions on certain printers and applications
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Printing with color profiles

Post by zedonet »

Question:

My question is whether or not I can use other ICC files from paper vendors that are printer specific, or will need to have custom ones built by ZDONet color profiling.

I'm using RedRiver (RR) paper (RedRiverCatalog.com) with my Pro9000 Mk II, with great results, but I'd like to have perfect output and it's not quite there, yet.

RedRiver supplies ICC profiles for the combination of their paper and my Canon printer (http://www.redrivercatalog.com/profiles ... files.html).

Using Turboprint Studio, I've added the appropriate RR ICC files to the TurboPrint color profiles. I select the Canon paper type that most closely matches the RR type (per RR's guidelines), and print.

Here's the weird part, the blues are way off (highly saturated). I know my monitor is not 100% calibrated, but it's not that far off. So, I tested my printing with a reference print from MPix (its a TIFF file and compare with a print out they printed). The RR ICC doesn't work as expected--when I switch out the color profile to sRGB it's very, very close to the reference print.

Ilfford also has printer specific color profiles for their papers (http://www.ilford.com/profiles/index_en ... ediatype=0).

I realize that I could use the ZEDONet Color Profile service to build ICC files for each paper type--but that could add up to quite an extra expense.

So, does Turboprint support ICC profiles from paper vendors that have been pre-calibrated for my specific printer ?

Thanks !!

----

Answer:

in most cases, it is not possible to use ICC profiles that were created for the manufacturer's printer driver (Canon's original driver, in this case) for TurboPrint - this is because of different linearization curves and different ink mixing techniques (e.g. which combination of cyan / light cyan is used).

To get proper results, you will have to create an ICC profile by printing a color chart with TurboPrint. Of course you can also use our profiling service - for details, see the TurboPrint manual, chapter 10.

----

Reply:

Fair enough. I was hoping for something more streamlined. Thanks !