Envelope printing does not work on Epson R800

Questions on certain printers and applications
broadstairs

Envelope printing does not work on Epson R800

Post by broadstairs »

I have an Epson R800 printer and when I attempt to print a DL envelope from Libreoffice it is printed in he wrong orientation. On an Epson R800 you load the envelope short edge first and the bottom edge on the right side of the printer (this places the open flap of the envelope to the left) however when Turboprint tries to print the address it comes out in the horizontal orientation rather than rotating the data through 90 degrees clockwise. Using the standard CUPS printer driver the address is rotated 90 degrees but counter clockwise so the address is printed with the flap at the bottom. So in fact neither driver works correctly although the CUPS one is usable albeit with the envelope up-side-down.

I believe a similar problem has been reported before here but never updated.

I am running the latest Turboprint on Fedora 16.

Stuart
broadstairs

Re: Envelope printing does not work on Epson R800

Post by broadstairs »

I have done a bit more testing and if I export my DL envelope to a PDF and print to TP from Adobe Reader then it does print OK on a DL envelope but the one confusion factor here is that a print preview does not adequately show which way up the envelope should be placed in the printer, it shows the envelop in portrait mode but with the writing rotated 90° anti-clockwise and if the envelope is placed in the printer as shown the actual print will come out rotated 90° clockwise. It would be a good idea if the print preview in the Monitor showed a legend of 'Top' at the top of the envelope. The standard Epson print preview does indeed have such a legend to ensure that the top edge of the document is fed into the printer correctly, it is pretty obvious for A4 paper but is is very important for things like envelopes where the output is rotated.

So to sum up printing envelopes from LibreOffice does not work but printing from Adobe Reader does work. As yet I have not tested envelope printing from any other application.

Stuart
broadstairs

Post by broadstairs »

Further investigation seems to show a problem with Libreoffice and its envelope printing. I will try to test with other word processors in Linux and see what happens.

Stuart
broadstairs

Post by broadstairs »

Just to say that the latest update to TP has fixed printing DL envelopes from Libreoffice.

Stuart
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

thank you for the information! I was just going to suggest that you try the new version...
Is the envelope flap on the correct side now?
broadstairs

Post by broadstairs »

zedonet wrote:Hello,
Is the envelope flap on the correct side now?
Yes the flap is correctly situated on the RH side of the printer as you look at it.

The confusion factor for me is that when a preview is shown in the Monitor it is in portrait mode with the top of the document at the top of the window and I had assumed the way it was shown was the way it is fed into the printer which ofcourse is not true. The preview shows the top of the document at the top of the window but you effectively feed the envelope top edge down into the printer first.

The nice thing about the Epson preview is that it shows the envelope in landscape mode with the edge fed first into the printer on the LH side of the preview and it is labelled Top. Tis way it makes you think more about how to feed the envelope into the printer

Hope I explained that well enough!

Stuart