Can't print in landscape format

Questions on certain printers and applications
VTTP

Can't print in landscape format

Post by VTTP »

I just purchased Turboprint 2.25-1 and am unable to print in landscape mode to 12" x 18" paper (custom) on an HP 1120C printer.

Where is the old tpconfig landscape mode that used to be available in older versions (1.x) of TP?

I had no problems using the same printer in landscape mode on the same paper in the past.
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Can't print in landscape format

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

the landscape switch that was present in the TurboPrint 1.x configuration tool was removed because it was misleading for users.

The "landscape" switch only worked for printing ASCII text from command line using the lp command (when printing in landscape format using the "lp" command, the option "-o landscape" must be added).

Page orientation is normally set in the application program's print dialog or page setup dialog.

Which application do you use to print?
VTTP

Post by VTTP »

I'm now having problems printing Landscape with 12 x 18 paper using Turboprint with Libre Office 3, Open Office 3, Adobe Acrobat 9 (Linux native), and QCad Professional.

Sorry if I was misleading in saying "tpconfig", I was using the graphic, not command line version of the config inteface in 1.x . I still have an older computer with the earlier Turboprint and it still will print landscape 12 x 18 with the same printer and programs. I could swear I have to set the Config orientation mode to get a proper printout. But that's kind of moot. I need the new version to print out using my new laptop.

Let's narrow the issue down for troubleshooting to Libre Office 3 Draw (aka Open Office Draw). Can you give me exact steps to print a landscape 12 x 18" drawing in that program using Turboprint 2?

I will then post an attachment screenshot of the print preview that Turboprint provides if it still reverts to portrait mode.

EDIT:

I'm attaching below a screenshot of what I see in Libre Office Draw when I'm set up to print with Turboprint 2 in landscape mode on Custom defined 12 x 18 paper. I am including what printer properties are set in Draw. And showing the resulting cut off printout shown in TP's preview.
Attachments
TurboprintLandscapeProblem.png
TurboprintLandscapeProblem.png (112.58 KiB) Viewed 10268 times
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

I'll try to reproduce the problem - just one question: Which Linux distribution & version do you use?
VTTP

Post by VTTP »

Puppy Linux
Version: Racy 5.3

I have seen a few discussions via internet searches of a landscape printing issues in CUPS. Apparently there was a change in CUPS methodology for landscape parameter passing/filtering from client programs. I'm wondering if this is related to the problem.

You might want to do a search for CUPS landscape issues at CUPS bug report site.

EDIT:

like here:
http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2881+Qversion:1.3

seems related to the xpdf filter.
VTTP

Post by VTTP »

My CUPS version is 1.3.11, btw.

LibreOffice seems to default to pdf filter for printout.
VTTP

Post by VTTP »

This thread suggests changing filters from pdf to PS level 2:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... at-901356/
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Can you please try to change a setting in TurboPrint Control: open the dialog "Preferences" and remove the checkmark "Use GPL Ghostscript with extensions for TurboPrint".

Then press "OK" (you will have to enter your login password in order to write back the new settings to the system directory) and try to print a landscape format.

Please let me know if that helps.
VTTP

Post by VTTP »

I'm sorry, but that did not help. The orientation is still wrong with part of the page cut off, as illustrated above in the attached scrrenshots posted earlier.

I tested in Adobe Acrobat, Libre Office Draw, and QCad Professional.

BTW, before making the above change, I tested Libre Office with the following change:

File>Printer Properties> Device>Printer Language Type> (Changed from PDF to Postscript Level 2)

And then landscape printing worked properly with Turboprint. However, this change isn't sticky, so it has to be done with every document. And it doesn't seem available with other programs.

I have copied below what Adobe Acrobat sends when printing:

lpr -P DeskJet112xC-TurboPrint -o PageSize=Custom1000 -o PageRegion=Custom1000 -o MediaType=Plainpaper_0 -o InkType=Color_1 -o Resolution=300x300dpi -o InputSlot=AutomaticFeed -o OutputBin=Front -o Duplex=None -o zedoColorModel=Black -o zedoDithering=ErrorDiffusion -o zedoMirror=0 -o zedoDuplexAdjust=0 -o zedoColorspace=0 -o zedoCMYKspace=0 -o zedoIntent=perception_0 -o zedoIntensity=0 -o zedoShadows=0 -o zedoBrightness=0 -o zedoContrast=30 -o zedoDuplexadvanced=manual-reverse -o zedoBorderlessExpand=2 -o zedoPrinterDriver=HP-DeskJet112xC -o zedoLicenseType=License -o zedoAdjustY=0 -o zedoAdjustM=0 -o zedoAdjustC=0 -o zedoAdjustK=0 -o zedoInklimitY=0 -o zedoInklimitM=0 -o zedoInklimitC=0 -o zedoInklimitK=0 -o zedoRefLight=65 -o zedoGreyToneA=0 -o zedoGreyToneB=0 -o zedoGamut=0 -o zedoUCR=0 -o zedoTAC=0 -o zedoBrightC=0 -o zedoBrightM=0
Attachments
Adobe Acrobat setup just prior to sending the above print command
Adobe Acrobat setup just prior to sending the above print command
AcrobatScreenshot.png (48.53 KiB) Viewed 10245 times
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

I installed Puppy Linux Racy 5.3 today, then installed the current TurboPrint 2.26-1, set up a print queue for the Deskjet 1120C printer and added the page size "12 x 18 inches".

I printed a lot of test documents from epdfview, Adobe Reader and LibreOffice (portable version 3.3) and could not reproduce your problem - orientation was always correct.

Could you please install the current TurboPrint 2.26-1 and test if the problem is also solved on your Linux installation?