Gimp Printing in high quality-SLED 10.2

Questions on certain printers and applications
seadoo

Gimp Printing in high quality-SLED 10.2

Post by seadoo »

I am having difficulty in getting high quality prints from Gimp using a Canon iP5000. I am choosing 4800dpi output but find that I have to adjust the colour up otherwise the photos look very pale. I have tried various settings turning up the saturation, individual colours and density but still can't get anywhere near the quality I can get from the Canon driver for Windows 2000. I am doing a like for like comparison and am sure there is a simple solution but I can't see it. I have noticed that there is a lot of ink going on to the paper, as it is curling as it comes from the printer. Any ideas?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

previous versions of GIMP did some "corrections" in the PostscriptLevel2 output driver before sending the image to printer driver - please see our TurboPrint HTML manual, chapter 7, section "gimp".

If you are using GIMP with Gutenprint drivers version 5.0.0rc2 or higher, this problem is no longer present (this version of GIMP / Gutenprint is included with current Linux distributions like Ubuntu 6.10 or SuSE 10.2).

Generally, it is necessary to set the correct paper type and the highest print resolution to get good results. If settings are correct, prints should be comparable to the output of Canon's Windows driver (or better).