No connection to turboprint daemon [SOLVED]

Questions on certain printers and applications
Latimer

No connection to turboprint daemon [SOLVED]

Post by Latimer »

Hello,

When I print with TurboPrint the message: "ERROR - no connection to turboprint daemon" is constantly displayed in the Printer Monitor Window.
This problem has been addressed in other posts but I found that solutions given there are no longer applicable in my case as they are outdated.

The distro I am running is Debian Testing (Wheezy).
I am using Turboprint version: 2.29-1.
The printer is a Canon PIXMA MP600 (all-in-one) connected via USB.
The URI from TurboPrint Control Centre is:
tpu://Canon/MP600/SN=335110

I would be very grateful for advice on this, as everything I've tried with TP up to now has been successful and a great relief from the usual Canon/Linux frustration. :D

(P.S. In the meantime I've discovered that the executable tpdaemon is present in /etc/init.d/ ... Could we be on to something?... Tally Ho!)

(P. P. S. It seems you get the daemon going at system start-up (on my system - Debian Wheezy) with:

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/tpdaemon start
To get this to happen every time, you can specify it in the "Startup Applications Preferences" application.
Click on "Add". You then get 3 boxes to fill in:
Name: a suitable name - I put "TurboPrint Daemon"
Command: /etc/init.d/tpdaemon start (No room for imagination here. This must be exactly so.)
Comment: again anything suitable will do... I put "Start TurboPrint Printer Status Daemon"
Clicking another "Add" button will add this to the list of things to be started up every time you fire-up the system.
I have to admit it was comforting to find "TurboPrint Monitor" already in the list. Gave some hope that this was probably a good way to do it.

Any comments are welcome - especially if there's something I've overlooked...