Canon PIXMA ip4300, Modul configuration

Questions on certain printers and applications
karlsinn

Canon PIXMA ip4300, Modul configuration

Post by karlsinn »

Hi,
recently I have problems with my PIXMA ip4300.
the beginning of the page is printed nicely and sharp but then moving on the printing is getting blurred and unreadable.

I realized that turboprint is only using the color-module of the printhead and wanted to change that, but in the settings I can't choose any other than the color-modul.

How can I change this?

Best regards
Karl Sinn
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Canon PIXMA ip4300, Modul configuration

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

this sounds like a problem caused by the print head or ink cartridge. Please print a nozzle test page (TurboPrint Control -> Toolbox -> Nozzle test page) to make sure that the print head is operating properly - the test page should show a staircase pattern for black and solid rectangles for color inks. If lines are missing in the staircase pattern or if the color blocks are not solid, perform a print head cleaning (also available in the "Toobox" dialog).

Can you please post your print settings:

- media type
- print quality
- ink cartridges: Canon or compatible ink cartridges

Please also post a scanned image or photo of the nozzle test page and also of a printed page that shows your printing problem.

The setting "module"="black&white" is only available for some printers where the print cartridge can be exchanged (color or black print cartridge). You can choose print mode = "Black & White" or "Greyscale" in TurboPrint Config, tab "Color" to make sure that only the black cartridge is used.
karlsinn

Post by karlsinn »

Hello,

the nozzle-test-page looks perfect, I checked that already (therefor not sending the scan, if you need it anyway please tell me)

Mediatype = Normalpapier (normal paper)
Print Quality = 600 dpi
ink cartridges = compatible
The setting "module"="black&white" is only available for some printers where the print cartridge can be exchanged (color or black print cartridge). You can choose print mode = "Black & White" or "Greyscale" in TurboPrint Config, tab "Color" to make sure that only the black cartridge is used.
I always print in greyscale but the black for that purpose is still full, and the photo-black-cardridge is empty => only this one is being used

I guess with the "TurboPrint Config, tab" you mean the corredponding choice in ther print-dialog before printing.
I always choose greyscale in the printer-dialg. Does it make a difference to choose this option in the printer configuration?

I upload an example scan. For reasons of size and copyright it's only a slice of the document.
In the upper part of the image you can see that everything's fine at the beginning of the page (printing two pages on one sheet) and in the lower part it's like the same text is printed twice but not at exactly the same spot)

In case it's a problem with the printhead I would still like to try if the "normal" black cartridge is working better.

Thank you for your help,
Karl
karlsinn

Post by karlsinn »

I just saw that the uplaod didn't work, here a link to the file:
http://www.budostore.de/pastebin/printing-problem.jpeg
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

It looks like a bidirectional printing alignment problem: The very top of the page is printed left-to-right, then the printer alternates between left-to-right and right-to-left print head movements. Due to overlapping print head passes, the output may look "blurred" because left-to-right and right-to-left printing is not 100% aligned.

Please perform print head alignment (TurboPrint Control -> Toolbox -> Print head alignment) check if text looks sharper after aligning.

The "photo black" cartridge is used in "borderless" print mode (this is a limitation of the iP4300 printer). Do you print in borderless mode?

Please also include the log file /var/log/turboprint/print.log
karlsinn

Post by karlsinn »

zedonet wrote:It looks like a bidirectional printing alignment problem: The very top of the page is printed left-to-right, then the printer alternates between left-to-right and right-to-left print head movements. Due to overlapping print head passes, the output may look "blurred" because left-to-right and right-to-left printing is not 100% aligned.

Please perform print head alignment (TurboPrint Control -> Toolbox -> Print head alignment) check if text looks sharper after aligning.
That's it, problem solved.
zedonet wrote:The "photo black" cartridge is used in "borderless" print mode (this is a limitation of the iP4300 printer). Do you print in borderless mode?
Yes, I need borderless, otherwise the white borders get to big and fonts to small to read because of the reduced printing area.
Is there a solution for my problem?
Would an update of turboprint help?

http://www.budostore.de/pastebin/print.log

Thanks
Karl
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Unfortunately it is a limitation of the printer that the borderless printing mode only works with "photo black" ink - this cannot be controlled by the printer driver.
karlsinn

Post by karlsinn »

I see. Thanks for all.
Karl