Re: Reccommended printer resolution for Pro-100: 300 or 360

Questions on certain printers and applications
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Question:

Question: is the optimal DPI 360 or 300 ?

There is a lot of confusion when setting up the best DPI settings for the Pro-100.

In the US Canon forum, the suggestion is for 360 DPI. But the explanation is based on CMYK "The reality is printers print at 360 DPI (360 x 4 (CMYK) = 1440)."

I'm setting the print for RGB, not CMYK (which I understand as not appropriate for the Pro-100)

Now that GIMP fully supports 16 bit TIFF, I'll be printing from that (after RAW adjustments are made in AfterShot Pro).

Thanks !

----

Answer:

the base resolution for the Canon PIXMA Pro100 printer is 600dpi.

Where do you select the dpi setting - in your photo editor? If you are scaling the image im GIMP to the actual print size, I recommend 300dpi (600dpi is also possible but file size will be very large).

----

Question:

Well 600 DPI is an interesting answer

I can set the DPI output in my primary RAW editor (AfterShot Pro). My current workflow is to export the RAW to 16 bit TIFF and then print from GIMP (I'll use jpg for web and when I need a lot very quickly).

The "quality" setting in TurboPrint marks 600 DPI as draft. So, I'm guessing that the 600/1200/2400 DPI means something different than what I'm thinking it does.

So, let's suppose I'm looking to print the highest quality print technically possible with Turboprint on my Pro-100 (I use a color calibrated IPS monitor, with ColorHug),

1. Export completed RAW into TIFF 16 BIT at 600 DPI
2. Print from GIMP/Turboprint with "quality" set to 2400 DPI

Is that about right ?

Thanks !
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

I am not sure what the "DPI" setting in AfterShot Pro does. Specifying "dots per inch" makes sense if you also specify image dimensions in inches or centimeters.

Does the size of the exported TIFF file increase with increasing DPI setting?

---

Reply:

Let me play with some of this and test the final results. Ultimately, it's about the final print.

Thanks !