Canon MX700 won't print in B&W

Questions on certain printers and applications
hayden

Canon MX700 won't print in B&W

Post by hayden »

I tried TurboPrint on Computer A with printers X and Y. I loved it and purchased a family license. Shortly thereafter I upgraded my system which is currently an HP DC5750 and Canon MX700. When I print, black text comes out somewhere between purple and brown. It looks like the printer is trying to imitate black by mixing colored ink, which is very wasteful of ink and gives a lousy-looking page. At first I thought it might be caused by colored graphics embedded in the document but later I saw the same problem with a letter with no color components. I've seen it from multiple applications. I did not have this problem with the previous system (different printers, different CPUs). In one case I printed the same document on both systems and got black text on the old and purple on the new.
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Canon MX700 won't print in B&W

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

black text should always be printed with black ink except for borderless print modes (the printer firmware doesn't allow the use of PGI5 black pigment ink in borderless mode, the reason is probably the printhead layout). Do you print in borderless mode?
hayden

Post by hayden »

Not exactly but that tip enabled me to track down the problem. I thought I remembered there being a box to check for borderless prints but I could not find that. What I did find was that paper was set to 4X6 inches and all margins were set to 0. Changing that led to text printing in black. So thanks for the tip. What I do not understand is that with the previous settings the entire US-letter-sized page was printing, and with reasonable margins.
hayden

Post by hayden »

TurboPrint seems to keep reverting to 4X6 paper and purple-brown printing. I look in TurboPrint, at the printer LCD, and at the settings in my application, and all show US Letter as the paper size, but when I try to print, the monitor pops up and says I am printing to 4X6 paper. What I get is a 4X6 window on my worksheet printed in puple-brown.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Did you check if the page size in the application's print dialog was set correctly? From which application do you print?

Please also post the log file /var/log/turboprint/print.log (section for last print job starting from "### new print job" is sufficient).