Re: Printing in ProPhotoRGB ?

Questions on certain printers and applications
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Question:

Last week I posted what I thought was an innocuous question in dpreview: "What gamut to you print in, for those that have their own printer ?" It led to a long back and forth on colormetrics. Andrew Rodney has created a video overview of the topic, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLlr7wp ... e=youtu.be, and has included his test files for anyone to verify his findings.

I've always done my RAW processing in ProPhotoRGB, but exported the final print image in sRGB jpg. Andrew provides convincing evidence that modern ink jet photo printers benefit from ProPhotoRBB tif.

I'm using a Canon Pro-100 and an Epson P800, but the largest gamut I can use from Turboprint Studio is WideRGB.

Is there any effort to include ProPhotoRGB into Turboprint ?

Thanks

---

Answer:

you can already use any color space for your image that you want. With TurboPrint Studio additional color spaces can be added as ICC profiles in the color management menu - they will be added to the list of available color spaces in the TurboPrint print dialog (next to WideRGB, etc.).
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Interesting (and very good news). Let me make sure that I understand this correctly, as colormetrics is always a bit baffling to me.

- I can take a ProPhotoRGB.icc file and add it into TurboStudio ? Would that require creating a new paper profile ? Or, can I use the same ProPhotoRGB.icc file that I'm using with AfterShotPro2 on my workstation ?

Thanks !

UPDATE:

So, adding new color space for printing -- the manual cites the following (pg 58):

Select "New Color Space" to add an ICC color profile. Color profiles for RGB devices (e.g. monitor, scanner, digital camera) and CMYK devices (e.g. offset printing) can be imported and used for printing RGB or CMYK documents.

Select your ICC profile in the file selection dialog - TurboPrint will display the profile name, copyright and profile type (RGB / CMYK). Press "OK" to install the profile

Because I've set my RAW editor (ASP2) to ProPhotoRGB, I'm going to use that icc profile (/opt/AfterShot2(64-bit)/supportfiles/Profiles/ProPhotoRGB.icm). I think it's reasonable that other users of Turboprint use ASP2, so I'm including this information. This is the colorspace profile used by ASP2 when exporting the RAW to 16-bit TIFF.

Here's my steps:

1. Create a copy of the /opt/AfterShot2(64-bit)/supportfiles/Profiles/ProPhotoRGB.icm
2. Open the profiles setting for TurboPrint Studio
3. Select Colorspace
4. Select New Color Space
5. Select the ProPhotoRGB.icm file

----

Answer:

Thank you for the detailed description - thats the correct way to add new color spaces. As color spaces only influence the way TurboPrint reads and interprets the document colors, your printer profiles are not affected and do not need to be updated. Of course, printing with "ProPhotoRGB" only produces correct colors if your printing application sends the images unchanged to the printer driver (without converting into sRGB).