Labels and borderless

Questions on certain printers and applications
amistad

Labels and borderless

Post by amistad »

I bought Avery Zweckform labels 38x24 mm, 3 columns and 6 rows.

Open Office Writer has a great support for various labels but this one wasn't in there by default so I created it myself (No. 3325).

I created a new labels file using that template and it all looks as expected in OO. But printing them isn't so transparent.

The labels are 1mm from the edges, so margins should be 1mm? I set up a new size in Turboprint but I'm confused about margins, if I choose Normal the settings won't allow 1mm margins so I guess I need to use Borderless?

How should I setup Turboprint and OO so that I can print labels?

my printer is canon pixma ip4200, on fedora9

Also I haven't been able to print bordeless on A4 if I use draft quality (I only tried higher quality once). Can you confirm that borderless can be used only with high quality printing?

I'm also confused about how borderless printing needs to be setup, I only found the way to change preferences in Turboprint, it can't be done in Print dialogs in various applications.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello Amistad,

for printing labels I do not recommend the borderless mode. In borderless mode the printer is much slower and is restricted to certain quality and paper modes.
Only if you really need to print at the borders of the labels, borderless mode is useful.
Set up your new page format using 38x24 mm using normal borders.

If the application does not offer all printer features you need to change the settings via the TurboPrint preferences.
amistad

Post by amistad »

Thank you for your reply.

I managed to print one sheet of labels that I'm satisfied with after much trial and error on plain paper. Once I figured out the best label settings in OO the problem were margins.

I tried printing with Normal, top and left margins were set to 0.1cm, also OO label template was also set up 0.1cm top and let margin but when printing the margins were always larger, it just won't print anything that's within 3.5mm from the paper edge.

So I used Borderless, it's the only way I found that works. I don't need to print on the label edges, but using Normal always shifts everything away from the top and left paper edge so the bottom and right sides of the label sheet get cut off.