Canon PIXMA MP970

Questions on certain printers and applications
Simen Gaure

Canon PIXMA MP970

Post by Simen Gaure »

Hi,

does anyone have any tips on how to make the Canon MP970 work with TurboPrint? Will there be a driver? When? Does some other driver work? Preferably with the LAN connection. I have trouble with the bjnp cups-backend.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

we're just working to complete the Canon MP970 driver and will post on availability (should be available until end of September).
USB connection will be supported, very likely also LAN connection.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

TurboPrint 2.04-1 has now been released which includes a driver for Canon Pixma MP960 / MP970 and the bjnp backend for network printing.
Simen Gaure

Post by Simen Gaure »

Thanks, it works almost flawlessly.
That's just in time, I have 2 days left of my demo period :D

There's one minor glitch, it seems. I'm currently printing from gimp via the Turboprint driver (really nifty). When I print at the highest quality (9600dpi it claims, I don't know whether that's really true), the photo prints all the way to 100%, the Turboprint monitor says "Job finished", but the photo is not "released" from the printer. I.e. it's stuck and must be dragged out.
The printer display says "Printing from PC..." and stays so for as long as I have waited (which is half an hour). Moreover, the printer hangs, it can't be switched off (it goes into the "off-animation" and stays there.) I have to pull the plug. This is the usb-connection, I haven't tried ip.

The printout is very high quality, slightly lighter than the same jpg printed from Canon's windows driver, and slightly lighter than the screen (whatever that's supposed to mean). The colours are closer to the screen (which is calibrated) than what the Canon driver produces. All in all it's a pleasant experience.

My jpeg's are in Kodak ProPhoto RGB (which I also have loaded as an icc in TP), I suppose this will be honoured by TP when I use the TP-driver in gimp directly and not via cups?
This might be the reason why the colours are off with the Canon-driver, it's unclear to me how it handles this, though from such a company I can't imagine they can't handle it.

I'm actually going to buy TP.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

thank you for your feedback! I could reproduce the problem and will send you a fix by email - this will be also included in the next release.

About the ICC profile - if you import the ProPhoto RGB color space into TurboPrint Control Center (button "Profiles") and set the RGB space to "Pro Photo RGB" in the printer settings (button "Configure"), you can use it from any application, not just from the gimp print plugin.