Orientation on photograph (4"x6") size and lpr.

Questions on certain printers and applications
Erik Slagter

Orientation on photograph (4"x6") size and lpr.

Post by Erik Slagter »

Hi,

Using turboprint 1.9x I was able to load 10x15 photo paper, select 4"x6" (or 6"x4", I don't remember) paper size, then print a jpg that's landscape and then cups&turboprint would rotate the image automagically so the image would end up correctly on the (portrait sized) paper.

Using version 2.x this no longer done, the landscape image is printed landscape on the portrait size paper (so half of it is missing). Also I cannot find an option (anymore?) to have cups rotate the image, I seem to remember there was an option like "-o orientation=portrait"?

So... What's the best way to print images from lpr without having to manually rotate them?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

printing from command line is handled by the CUPS printing system - there should be no difference between TurboPrint 1.9x and 2.x.

The command line

lp -d <printer> -o media=4x6inBorderless -o scaling=100 filename.jpg

should work (you may have to add -o landscape). The media size names depend on the printer, use

lpoptions -p <printer> -l

to list available sizes.
Erik Slagter

Post by Erik Slagter »

Recently I removed the "scaling=100" option from my ~/.cups/lpoptions file. I never used -o landscape or similar. I will try this tonigh when I am home.
Erik Slagter

Post by Erik Slagter »

That does indeed the trick, I re-added scaling=100 and it works. Thanks for the hint.
Erik Slagter

Post by Erik Slagter »

I have to add this: there seems to a bug (imho) where "turboprint" (the application) removes the "scaling=..." parameter from the ~/.cups/loptions file, everytime a "paper size" is updated (possibly other config options as well). If I add it manually every time, everything works as expected.