Solved: Printing with own profile

Questions on certain printers and applications
mikebondar

Post by mikebondar »

I am using v 2.06 and I am more than happy with the results using a Canon i9950, Canon paper and ink.

However, I have recently changed to a CISS system and started using non Canon paper (Permajet). I have 'tweaked' the settings to give reasonable results, but in a effort to get more accurate prints, I have used a Spyder3Print to create my own profiles.

This was done under windows (of course!), then copied the icc profile to my Ubuntu 7.10 laptop, set up a new profile to use in TurboPrint and started to print.

Obviously I have confirmed that the profile is OK under windows - in fact the quality was superb in both colour and black and white - exactly what I intended.

The problem is that no matter what adjustments I make in TurboPrint I always get a print that appears correct color/contrast wise, but is simply 3/4 stops too dark. Reverting to my old 'tweaked' settings are acceptable and reasonably well balanced for brightness.

I am at a complete loss - can anybody make any further suggesting what to try please?

Mike
Last edited by mikebondar on Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

the profile chart must be printed with TurboPrint - different printer drivers apply slightly different amounts of ink, so if you are printing the test chart under Windows, you cannot use the ICC profile with TurboPrint.

Please follow the instructions provided in the PDF manual for TurboPrint, page 52ff and 60:

http://www.turboprint.info/manual/Manua ... Print2.pdf

First, create a new profile entry in TurboPrint Control Center according to the instructions in the manual.

With Spyder3Print come an RGB test chart image - load this image e.g. into GIMP and print it using the TurboPrint driver. Choose the media entry that you created in the previous step.

Then measure the chart with Spyder and create an ICC profile.

Finally, import the ICC data into TurboPrint Control center.
mikebondar

Post by mikebondar »

Many thanks for your quick response.

It's all very obvious now - no good using the Canon Windoze driver to print the profile charts when I will be using GIMP/Turboprint.

Doh!!!!

Not yet actually done it, later when at home.

Once again many thanks

Mike
Valery Landon

Post by Valery Landon »

zedonet wrote:the profile chart must be printed with TurboPrint - different printer drivers apply slightly different amounts of ink, so if you are printing the test chart under Windows, you cannot use the ICC profile with TurboPrint.
So are you saying that Turboprint is printing is own way and that we MUST do ICC profiles of all papers?

I have some Tecco, Hahnemülle, Epson and Lumijet paper samples that have been given to me with my Epson Pro 3800, should I realize all the ICC of my papers for Turboprint or can I use the ones provides by the papers companies?

Thanks for your insights

:)

Valery Landon
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello Valery,

this is correct, ICC profiles that were made for Epson's Windows or Mac drivers cannot be used for our TurboPrint / PrintFab drivers.

The drivers differ in linearization and also the conversion from the 4 color channels of ICC profiles (CMYK) to the 8 printer inks (CMYKc2m2k2k3) is a bit different - that's why color reproduction is different.

However, you can get quite good results by using TurboPrint's / PrintFab's existing profiles, e.g.

Tecco => Epson Proof Satin
Hahnemühle => Fineart Paper Smooth

For exact proof printing, we recommend to create ICC profiles or use our profile creation service.
Valery Landon

Post by Valery Landon »

Thank you for your clear (and quick) answer. Make sens to me.