Printing Envelopes with Canon PIXMA IP 1600 [SOLVED]

Questions on certain printers and applications
Bob Estes

Printing Envelopes with Canon PIXMA IP 1600 [SOLVED]

Post by Bob Estes »

My computer is a home assembled PC clone. It has an ASUS P4SDX motherboard with a Pentium P4 processor running at 2.4 GHz. It has 4 GB or RAM and two 500 GB hard drives. I have a dual boot configuration with one drive set up as a Windows XP drive and another drive set up as a PCLINUXOS 2007 drive. I am using OpenOffice.org on both drives. On 29 October 2008 I purchased TurboPrint so that I could use my Canon Pixma IP 1600 printer with the PCLinuxOS. The problem I am having is when I try to print a standard #10 envelope. The printer requires that the envelope be inserted with the short end first. This requires the print to be rotated 90 degrees. So far, I have been unable to get it to print properly with TurboPrint, and I must boot into Windows to print my envelopes. Since I am using the same office suite in both Windows and PCLinuxOS, I can only conclude that the problem is with TurboPrint. I would appreciate any assistance you can provide. Thank you in advance.

Bob
Last edited by Bob Estes on Thu May 13, 2010 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sraiguel

Post by sraiguel »

I have exactly the same problem with my Canon i6500. Initially, I was quite pleased with Turboprint, until I tried printing an envelope, which needs to be done in landscape mode, with the envelope inserted short edge first, and with the left margin at the bottom (end that first enters the printer) and the top of the text to the left.

The document displays OK in Open Office, but displays incorrectly (rotated by 90 deg, with lines parallel to the short edge of the envelope) in the mini-preview on the Turboprint dialogue. When it prints, the text is oriented differently still, wth the lines now parallel to the long edge, and with the top of the text on the right, rather than the left edge (that is, rotated 180 deg). Moreover, all the text is displaced to the right (as you would normally view an envelope), with what should be the left margin moved over to roughly in the middle of the envelope,

I've tried endless variations on the Page settings of Open Office and the printer settings in Turboprint, but cannot get an envelope to print correctly with any concievable combination of settings. So is there any solution to this problem? Is this a known bug, or have Mr. Estes and I overlooked some setting or checkbox somewhere?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

thank you for your feedback!

The "Envelope" page format was incorrectly defined for some Canon drivers ("landscape" instead of "portrait").

@sraiguel: This was the case with the Canon i6500 driver and has been corrected in TurboPrint 2.08. Please download and install the current version of TurboPrint.

@Bob Estes: No problem is known with the Canon PIXMA iP1600 driver. It should be sufficient to choose the correct size both in OpenOffice's page setup and print dialog.
sraiguel

Post by sraiguel »

Yes, 2.08 works much better -und viele dank fur seinem hilfe - but it's the only driver that I've ever used that prints in landscape mode with the top of the page to the right. I thought that the convention was with the top to the left, so that the left margin of the page enters the printer first.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

The TurboPrint driver doesn't actually rotate the page - rotation is performed by the application, in this case OpenOffice.

The driver may specify which orientation it prefers (left or right end first), but OpenOffice doesn't seem to care. Which Linux driver(s) did you try?