Stripes on Canon ip5200 with borderless printing

Questions on certain printers and applications
Jeremy

Stripes on Canon ip5200 with borderless printing

Post by Jeremy »

When I use Turboprint with my Canon ip5200 and select borderless printing I get a number of hair thin white lines down the page, ie at 90 degrees to the direction of travel of the print head.

The stripes go away if I do not opt for borderless printing.

I am using turboprint-1.94-4 and printing via kprinter and cups. Anyone else seen anything like this? All suggestions on how to resolve the problem appreciated.
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

It appears this problem is specific to printing in landscape mode. I have a 6x4 ratio photo I was printing to 4x6 borderless paper in landscape mode. If I rotate the picture first then print to 4x6 paper in portrate mode, the stripes are gone.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

We had a similiar problem in the past which disappeared when upgrading the Linux distribution. It may depend on the application and/or version of ghostscript.

Which Linux distribution do you use and from which application did you print?
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

I am using the branch of ghostscript from http://www.cups.org/espgs at version 8.15.3. I am running on Gentoo Linux, which doesn't have any traditional idea of version numbers. However I can tell you the version of any component of the Linux system that you wish. For example glibc is version 2.4. Gcc is 3.4.5, and kde 3.5.5.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

...and the application you printed from (e.g. GIMP, OpenOffice)?
It would also be interesting if the result is the same when printing from different applications.
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

I am using Digikam 0.9.0-beta3
Openoffice seems to print in portrait when using the Canon Turboprint print driver, even if I specify landscape.
I installed gimp 2.2.12, but the turboprint driver does not appear in the printer list.

Finally I tried printing directly from kprinter, which reports its version like this:
kprinter -v
Qt: 3.3.6
KDE: 3.5.5
KPrinter: 0.0.1

And this prints correctly, no stripes even in borderless landscape mode.

So it appears that the problem may be digikam related rather than a problem with the print driver. I notice that there is a more recent version digikam out, so I am installing that now. That in turn is calling up more recent versions of exiv2 and libgphoto2 so hopefully this will fix it.

Many thanks for your help.
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

For the record, the upgrade to the released version of digikam (0.9) did not fix the problem. Stripes remain when printing borderless landscape mode.
Herndon

Same issue - Canon iP6000D

Post by Herndon »

I'm using the TurboPrint demo version 1.95.2 on Fedora Core 6 with KDE 3.5.5. The application is digiKam 0.9 and my printer is a Canon pixma iP6000D. When printing in landscape mode on 4 by 6 inch paper, faint horizontal white lines appear. It looks like 3 lines appear on a bordered print and 2 on a borderless print.

---Chris