HP DesignJet 70

Questions on certain printers and applications
jumpa

HP DesignJet 70

Post by jumpa »

Hi,
I'm trying Turboprint before I buy it.
I have a problem with HP Designjet 70 and Ubuntu Server 8.10.
I've installed the printer but if I try to print the test page, the printer is automatically switched off and then on, giving an error. On the turboprint control panel I have the message: "no connection to turboprint daemon".
Could you help me, please?
Thanks in advance
Jumpa
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello jumpa,

please check if your printer has the latest firmware - HP offers firmware updates on their webpage.
Regarding the turboprint daemon - it should be started automatically when booting your system. However, you can try to start it manually by entering the following command in a shell window:

sudo tprintdaemon

(you are asked for your password as the daemon need superuser rights to access the different printer ports).
jumpa

Post by jumpa »

Hi,
I've upgraded the firmware to the latest version, but I'm still experiencing the same problem:
as soon as I print a page, the printer automatically switch off and on, giving the error code 79:04. I've checked the HP site:

79:04 error code Explanation
An unexpected generic firmware error has occurred (unexpected ).
Recommended action

Unplug the power cable from the printer and wait a few seconds. Plug in the power cable again and check to see if the error code has disappeared.
Remove switchboxes and connect the printer directly to the computer via USB or Parallel cables.
If the error code reappears, upgrade the printer's firmware. Click here for information on how to upgrade the printer's firmware.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

PS: The printer works fine on a MS Windows Machine
jumpa

Post by jumpa »

Now the printer differently behaves: I can spool abotu 27% of the test page, then it stops and give me back the error code 79:04.
I've tried also to connect the printer via LPT1, not using USB, but I stll have the same error.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

we investigated this problem a little further and found that a combination of certain printer commands may result in the HP Designjet 70 printer switching off. We will change that in the next TurboPrint release (within the next weeks).
jumpa

Post by jumpa »

Thank you,
I'll be waiting for incoming good news!
Bye