Vertical lines on a ip4500 on Linux (not on Windows XP)

Questions on certain printers and applications
awbiegst

Vertical lines on a ip4500 on Linux (not on Windows XP)

Post by awbiegst »

Hi,
I have a ip4500 on UBUNTU Hardy.
Printing with turboprint 2 shows vertical lines about 2 cm from the left margin for about 1 cm. Sometimes also horzontal line show up.
When I use the Canon driver on XP with the same ink and paper, the result looks much better, only when you look very carefully there are some (vague) horizontal lines (with none canon paper and ink)

Initially I have used Canon paper(101 pro) and ink, that gave the same behaviour, allthough less pronounced (not visible on XP, but visible on linux with TP2)

Of course I did a nozzle check and a cartridge line out, but that was ok.
I hope you have any clues, I hate to go to XP only for printing
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

are the lines in the direction of the print head movement or "perpendicular" (90 deg.) to print head movement?

From which application did you print?

Some customers have reported white lines that could be traced to incorrect scaling in the postscript interpreter "ghostscript" - it may help to install a newer version of ghostscript.
awbiegst

Post by awbiegst »

Hello,

The lines are perpendicular to the head movement (so in the direction the paper moves).
On XP I print with the canon easy print software, on Ubuntu with GIMP with the turboprint plugin. Does that use Ghostscript?
The vague horizontal lines may have something to do with ink quality, does it help to increase the ink amount? I can't check it now, as I'm not at home.

Ton
awbiegst

Post by awbiegst »

Took some time, but I checked things again. I installed an other ghostscript with no changes.
I made a color card with all RGB and CMY colors. Only in RED I can';t see the lines, geen blue and cyan are bad.
Another check on XP, no lines there at all.
With TP I tried canon PP101 profile at 2400bits and the lines are gone.
When I don't apply a profile, image is dark but there are lines especially in green and cyan. At 2400 about the same but also with horizontal lines in green.
On plain paper with 9600 bits the lines are there, but vague.
My conclusion: TP 2 wasn't a good investment especially as I ordered a ICC profile to be made.
I hope You will find the bug. In the meantime I have to go to XP for printing photo's.