canon i965 resolutions

Questions on certain printers and applications
wvtienen

canon i965 resolutions

Post by wvtienen »

Hi,

I have a Canon I965.
The specifications of this printer give a maximum resolution of 4800 x 2400 dpi.
Turboprint is only giving 2400 ('super') as maximum (that is 2400x2400?).

How can I get the maximum resolution with this printer?

Note: using turboprint menu in Gimp only shows 1200dpi maximum; why is this?

Walter
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

thank you for your feedback!

TurboPrint uses the printer's highest resolution print mode. However, as you noticed, the labelling in the driver is not correct (will be fixed in the next TurboPrint release).

The printer is addressed by the printer driver with a lower print resolution with up to 16 levels of ink intensity per ink drop (this is also the case with Canon's Windows driver) - that's why a different resolution is displayed in GIMP, which shows the "rendering resolution", not the "printer resolution".
wvtienen

Post by wvtienen »

Thanks a lot for the reply.

For my understanding: if the printer driver is displaying 2400 as the highest resolution, is he then printing in 4800x2400 (as the specs say what the highest resolution is)?

I am a bit confused here since many printer have different horizontal versus vertical max resolution.

What is the difference between "rendering resolution" vs "printing "resolution?

Walter
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Thats correct, the TurboPrint setting "2400" is already the printers "4800x2400" dpi mode.

"Rendering resolution" is the resolution at which a kind of "bitmap image" is created (by the postscript interpreter Ghostscript - a component of the Linux printing system) that is sent to the printer driver.

The "printing resolution" is the resolution at which the printer places ink drops.
wvtienen

Post by wvtienen »

thanks again for the very fast responce.

From quality point of view, isn't it better to have the rendering resolution equal to the printing resolution?

Well actually, my main issue is that the linux printing result is having a lower quality then the windows driver.
But for that maybe I better creat a different thread on the Forum.

Walter
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

please describe your print "parameters":

- type of paper used
- settings in the Windows driver (paper type, quality setting - e.g. "Canon Professional Photo Paper", "max. quality setting")
- settings in the TurboPrint Control Center
- application used to print under Linux

And the difference between the TurboPrint and Windows printout, e.g. "TurboPrint printout is brighter", "Grain is visible", "Banding is visible"
wvtienen

Post by wvtienen »

Hi,

I will provide that information by the end of next week (maybe earlier). At the moment I am having my house painted and my printer is hiding for the dust.

Walter