Canon MP640 on Ubuntu

Questions on certain printers and applications
ahbartv

Canon MP640 on Ubuntu

Post by ahbartv »

Hello,
I have just bought a canon Pixma mp640. This printer is working with the canon drivers from the asian site. But, I wanted the better printer options with turboprint.
The problem is. The printer does not work at all with turboprint !

The printer is connected via wlan. It works well this way with the canon driver. Turboprint installs the printer as:
cnijnet:/00-1e-8e-5c-7d-39 Canon MP640
Nothing happens at all.

On the Turboprint site I've read that this printer is supported since 2.12. I have the latest driver 2.13-2 installed. Can somebody help me with this?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

thank you for your feedback!
Please try to set up the printer using the "BJNP" backend. When adding the printer in TurboPrint Control center, there should be a port entry starting with "BJNP...".

If not, please execute the following command from a terminal window (the printer must be connected to your network and powered on):

/usr/lib/cups/backend/bjnp
(for 64bit systems: /usr/lib64/cups/backend/bjnp)

This should report something like

bjnp://<ip-address>

Then add the printer in TurboPrint Control with the settings "Choose port"="Other" and "URI"="bjnp://..." as printed in the terminal window.
ahbartv

Post by ahbartv »

Thank you for this quick reply. I will try this as soon as I got home from work.

But isn't it strange that the printer does work well(acceptable) via: cnijnet:/00-1e-8e-5c-7d-39 with the canon driver?
ahbartv

Post by ahbartv »

I have the cnijfilter-mp640series-3.20-1-i386.deb file from Canon installed. Could there be a conflict between Turboprint driver and this one?
ahbartv

Post by ahbartv »

bjnp://192.168.0.8
Fixed the problem. Thanks a lot.