Canon MP500 - "Server does not have correct drivers ins

Questions on certain printers and applications
theguardian

Canon MP500 - "Server does not have correct drivers ins

Post by theguardian »

Hello,

I installed TurboPrint on a clarkconnect box via the terminal. I ran "tpsetup" and installed a Canon MP500 according the guide. The CUPS webinterface showed the printer and I was able to sucessfully print a test page.

However, when I try to connect the workstations (xp, win 7), I got the following error:

"The server for the printer does not have the correct printer driver installed. If you want to search, press ok. blablabla"

Clicking OK provides a database overview of various drivers, not listing the Canon Driver at the XP machine. Win 7 machine does show a MP500 driver, but after installation, printing to the server does not work. No error at the pc, no print log at the cups server.

Somebody got a solution for this?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello theguardian,

Windows tries to load a suitable printer driver from the remote computer. Of course it is not installed on the Linux machine. If the Canon Windows driver is installed on your XP machine, it should list the appropriate driver which you should select. In that case the Windows machine will process the print job and produce the necessary printer commands which are sent to the remote computer and passed to the printer.
If the Canon driver is not in the list, please install the Canon Windows driver for the MP500 printer.

If you want TurboPrint to create the actual printer raw data, you should use a Postscript (e.g. from Adobe) driver on the Windows machine when connecting it with the CUPS server.