Black pages on test Canon iP4000

Questions on certain printers and applications
eselma

Black pages on test Canon iP4000

Post by eselma »

I am using Turboprint 2.14 32 bit on a Mepis 8.5 system (Debian Lenny & kernel 2.6.32-16). The printer (Canon Pixma iP4000) is linked to the computer via USB. It is a fresh install. When I try printing a test page with Turboprint, only black (almost) pages appears. But it prints correctly with CUPS driver iP4000.

Mu CUPS version is 1.3.8-1lenny8, and Ghostscript 8.71~dfsg2. If I want to install newer CUPS/Ghostscript versions (say SID or Squeeze), a lot of dependencies appear, so there are risk of instability.

The printer worked fine previously, before upgrading.

Some clues, please?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

this sounds like a known problem that is caused by a bug in ghostscript.

See also this thread:

http://www.turboprint.info/support/viewtopic.php?t=684

Downgrading ghostscript should help - or upgrading, if a fixed version is already available for Mepis.
eselma

Post by eselma »

The 8.71 version of Ghostscript are the newer with this edition of MEPIS. As said, newer versions led to a lot of dependences. Looking for the last Lenny stable Ghostscript (8.62) also a lot of apps (mainly KOffice) should be erased/downgraded/who_knows.

As I still kept the later version of Turboprint 1.X (1.96-4), once installed it, all worked as intended (testpage only, BTW). Even the "old" 2.x version of TP (2.06-1) showed the same issues - in fact, emptied the black ink cartridge.

If a newer version of TP does not fix it, I'll keep the TP 1.96 until a new Ghostscript shows in the repos.

Thanks for your help.
eselma

Post by eselma »

I've been using an old version up to now, due to the black pages issue.
But today, with the upgrade to 2.16, the printer works again flawlessly.