Canon iP90 - Ubuntu - ink level reset with new ink cartridge

Questions on certain printers and applications
jcglt

Post by jcglt »

New user of TurboPrint on a Ubuntu Lucid Lynx system with an iP90 Canon printer.
The level of my two (black + color) cartridges was assessed correctly when I installed TurboPrint.
I had to changed my emptied black cartridge and the TurboPrint Monitor still shows a "low level" black ink.
How can I reset this level to its true value ?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

the ink levels shown by TurboPrint Monitor are calculated and reported by the printer. These ink levels are independent from TurboPrint's own ink counters.

Generally, ink level reporting does not work correctly if compatible ink cartridges without "chip" are used (together with the old chip from the original cartridge) or if the cartridge is refilled. In that case the printer identifies the cartridge as the old empty one. Of course this does only apply if the original cartridges are equipped with such a chip. I am not sure if the ip90 has such cartridges.

It might also be possible that you need to "tell" the printer that you have exchanged a cartridge. If you have access to a computer with Windows or Mac OS you could check if the original Canon printer driver offers such an option in the printer utilities. Otherwise please check your printer manual if it is necessary to inform the printer about a cartridge change.
jcglt

Post by jcglt »

SOLVED
Thank you for your answer.
After having read it I restarted my computer in Ubuntu and opened "TurboPrint Monitor", nothink new both ink levels were low.
I rebooted my computer in Windows XP and started a printing task, I was asked if I had changed an ink cartridge, clicked Yes, had to check a box if it was a new black cartridge, clicked yes and the black level was reset to full under Windows XP.
I rebooted to Ubuntu and reopened Turboprint Monitor : the black ink level was now set at the full level.
Easy solution, just complete the operation under Windows XP, which knows how to do then come back to my favourite ops system.
BTW I am satisfied with this product and bought my full licence yesterday, nice job !