Brother HL 2170W Printer

Questions on certain printers and applications
joetopshot

Brother HL 2170W Printer

Post by joetopshot »

I have a Brother HL 2170W wireless printer that, unfortunately, is not on TurboPrint's list of supported printers. Before I purchased TurboPrint, I had downloaded and installed the drivers for that printer from Brother. It seemed to work quite well (meaning, pages printed quickly). With the installation of TurboPrint (which I purchased specifically for my HP2100TN printer), printing to the Brother printer has become excruciatingly slow, or at least, it seems to be that way with everything I have printed recently. Could it be that the Brother drivers and TurboPrint are incompatible?

Is there a TurboPrint supported Brother printer model that I can use to try and connect to my 2170W via your software? Or do you have any other suggestion?

FYI, I only use one printer at a time. In my home in Baltimore, I use the HP printer -- your software has been an absolute life saver. Printing in Linux was the one thing that I hated until I started using your software. I have a second home, a cabin in Maine where I spend many months at a time. This is where the Brother printer resides. I'm not there now -- will be going back up in about two weeks.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks in advance,

Joe
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

the Brother HL2170W printer works very likely with the TurboPrint driver "Brother HL1470N".

There should be no interference between TurboPrint and the Brother driver.

What is slow - the delay until printing starts or the pages per minute rate for longer print jobs or both?
How ist the Brother printer connected - by USB or by wireless lan?
joetopshot

Post by joetopshot »

Thanks for your quick reply. As you asked me the question about how my printer is connected (the answer is via wireless lan), it occurred to me that I had moved the printer further away from the wireless router than it had been. Now I am wondering if the problem is simply one of a very weak signal (there's no hardware indicator nor did I see a software indicator for signal strength).

As I mentioned, that printer is in my cabin in Maine where I will be going in about 2 to 3 weeks (I will be working there for a few months). I will then configure that printer according to your recommendation. I will also test it via a USB connection if there are still problems. By the way, in answer to your question about what is slow... the printer activity light flashes but the pages print out very slowly.

Thanks again,
Joe