Printer driver for Canon Pixma iP5300

Questions on certain printers and applications
ceptune

Printer driver for Canon Pixma iP5300

Post by ceptune »

There is now a driver in the list for the iP5300 but it still seems to have the same problem of colour alignment is this correct ?
Apart from that text in black print O/K
Look forward to your reply Cheers
Can we fix it ? Yes we can
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

a correct iP5300 driver is just being finalized, should be available next week (TurboPrint 1.95-2).
ceptune

Post by ceptune »

You are amazing 2 days after requesting the driver its there.
Works 100 percent Brilliant
Thank you
Eric

troubles getting iP5300 to work

Post by Eric »

Hi, I'm adding this post on this thread since it's about getting the iP5300 to work right. I have been using PrintFab successfully on a MacBookPro through a Windows network (i.e. the printer was on the Windows machine and I printed from the Mac through the PC to the printer). The PC died and I have connected the printer directly to the Mac. I cannot get PrintFab to print directly to the printer. I can get the Mac to print to the printer via a CUPS-Gutenburg driver (not using PrintFab), but nothing I do with PrintFab seems to work. The non-PrintFab method uses a lot more ink, and I don't have enough control over the printing. I was using 2.12 (via the PC), and when I couldn't make it work without the PC, I upgraded to 2.15. I have tried the plain USB method and the USBTB method. What happens is that the Printer dialog "hangs" - it just says "connecting" or "sending data". If I leave it alone it says that for hours.

Thanks for your help!

MacBook Pro 4,1 (early 2008) running OS 10.5.8; 2.4GHz Intel Core Duo 2 with 4 GB RAM
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

did you change anything else, e.g. update OS X?

It would be helpful to have the printfab log files "printfab_cups.log"
and "cups/error_log" emailed after printing a document:

- Open "Applications" / "Utilities" / "Console"
- Click on "Logs"
- Choose the log file: double click "/var/log", then "printfab_cups.log"
- Select the menu "File" / "Save a Copy As" and save the file to your home
directory so that you can include it with your email
- Choose the second log file: double click "/var/log/cups", then "error_log"

Please email to mail at zedonet dot de (replace at by @ and dot by .).
Eric

Post by Eric »

I did upgrade from 10.5.7 to 10.5.8 sometime in there.

I have sent the files to you. Thanks for your help!
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

The files have arrived.

The following error is visible in the printfab_cups log file:

Code: Select all

GPL Ghostscript 8.15 (2004-09-22)
Copyright (C) 2004 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA.  All rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
Error: /undefined in EOQNPL+Times-Roman
Operand stack:
   EOQNPL+Times-Roman*1   --nostringval--
This means that a font was not found by ghostscript, the postscript interpreter used by PrintFab.

This is reported only for the last document "Teaching...pdf", the previous one "Invoice...pdf" seems to have been processed okay.

Please try to print test pages from PrintFab Toolbox to both the USB and the USBTB queues.

If one of the backends work, you can retry to print the document "Teaching...pdf": please try to switch to the OS X internal postscript interpreter: system print dialog -> "PrintFab Settings" -> uncheck "use ghostscript as postscript interpreter".
Eric

Post by Eric »

Thank you so much for your timeliness and thoroughness! Great support!

I restarted the Mac again and at this point I can print via PrintFab. I did not yet change from the Ghostscript fonts, but if needed, I now know how to do it. I'm grateful! I really like PrintFab and didn't look forward to life without it.
Eric

Post by Eric »

Well, the problem has returned. I tried to change the system settings, but don't know where to to it. I went to System Preferences > Print & Fax, but I don't see anywhere to uncheck Ghostscript fonts. BTW, when this problem occurs, I cannot print through PrintFab with either USB or USBTB. I'll await your help.
Eric

Post by Eric »

I did try to print to both backends (USB and USBtb), but it doesn't work. I will send a new set of error logs. Maybe you can help me. I rebooted thinking that would help. It didn't. But maybe that's because I had left some unprinted documents in the print queues. You mentioned fonts Ghostwriter doesn't find. Why? What can be done? It seems to me the fonts must be there if InDesign or other programs like Adobe Reader, etc. are using them. Sending files to you. Will await your response and advice. BTW, now I can't print to the CUPS-Gutenburg queue either...
ceptune

Cannon Printer

Post by ceptune »

As I was the one to start this thread I feel I should update, after a lot on trouble on both Windows and Linux systems I ended up changing to an HP C5280 last year this printer like nearly all the HP printer are supported by HP on Linux and as the printer is a scanner (Which also works 100% under Linux) and a copier it serves all my needs
Need I say more ?