Great program

Questions on certain printers and applications
JKoltner

Great program

Post by JKoltner »

I was looking around for something similar to FinePrint for Linux and came across TurboPrint here. Although it doesn't have quite the same intent as FinePrint (FinePrint is more about dynamically changing the pagers per sheet, messing with margains, and adding watermarks, etc. -- but has no emphasis on tweaking image quality like TurboPrint does), I've found it to be an excellent program with the one big advantage (shared with FinePrint) of being able to preview a page before committing it to paper!

(The lack of dynamic controls for, e.g., sheets per page is also somewhat ameliorated by almost all Linux print dialogs letting you control this, whereas it's a function of the printer driver whether or not you get this on Windows.)

Anyway, I'm quite happy with the program and will be purchasing a licensed copy. Support for the Canon MX850 cinches it for me -- I had resigned myself to never being able to use that printer on Linux, and it works just great with TurboPrint!

My other printer is an HP K850dn, which I'm using with TurboPrint with the K550 driver -- I believe the main difference between these two printers is that the K850 supports up to 13"x19" paper, whereas the K550 is a standard letter/A4-sized printer. Any idea if defining a custom page size alone will be enough to get TurboPrint to take advantage of the K850's wider paper path? (99% of the time I use letter-sized paper with the K850, so it's not a big deal.)

BTW, I last purchased a copy of TurboPrint in approximately 1993... for the Amiga! I had the original HP Portable DeskJet (that had just come out), and the built-in Amiga drivers for DeskJets was quite spartan in features compared to TurboPrint.

How times have changed... not only are printers a lot cheaper now, but I think TurboPrint is too!
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Great program

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

thank you for your feedback & suggestions and please excuse the delay!

We are working on an improved preview tool that supports resizing, cropping and possibly also n-up printing.

To be able to print larger than A4/Letter, you have to choose a different driver - the TurboPrint driver "HP OfficeJet Pro K8600" should work.